396/996XT 0 second system hold time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
What exactly takes place during scan when you select 0 second hold time for a system?

I am trying it out on my conventional banks, and it seems to me the scanner may be simply running through all unlocked frequencies once and then moves on. Correct or not? Wonder what it does for trunking systems.

Paul

n4yek

What exactly takes place during scan when you select 0 second hold time for a system?

Paul
Your scanner scans through your systems quite fast and depending on how many frequencies you have in each system, it could scan through 10 systems in 1 second. With a 0 (zero) second hold time, it scans a system once and moves on to the next system you are monitoring.
If you put a 1 second hold time on a system it will scan it for 1 second before moving on to the next,
2 second hold scan a system for 2 seconds before moving on,... and so on and so on...

Doesn't matter if it is trunk or conventional, it does the same thing.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
From the manual: Set the minimum number of seconds the scanner should spend checking this system or site even if there is no traffic on any channel. (The scanner always checks each channel in a system or site once even if the hold time is set to 0 seconds.) Select the number of seconds from 0 through 255 (0 is the default).

EditSysOption < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys. Looks like I set it up correctly for conventional, but anything less than a 2 second hold time on a busy trunked system seems to miss transmissions for me.

Paul

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
On a trunked system, the scanner will always check the site's control channel for at least one full cycle (typically about 1.5-2 seconds). A full cycle captures all traffic currently on the system, regardless of how busy it is (there can never be more channels active on a site than there are frequencies on the site...typically no more than 24, and that would be a rare event).

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Very good technical information to know.....I am testing out 0 sec hold on my FD scanner now. Am enjoying getting the most out of my old XT scanners. Thanks Paul!

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
UPman, the 0 second hold time is doing WONDERS for my trunked reception! I was missing stuff with 1 second hold, but 2 second hold dwells for a bit too long for my taste. 0 seems to work as a sort of "automatic" full pass of the CC. Thank you again for that technical description of how 0 second hold works....major difference in my job that depends on not missing addresses and one time transmissions.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.