• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What Moto gear can be moved to 220MHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF5YDR

I'm curious if any Motorola radios can be re-tuned to the 1.25MHz ham band, particularly portables. It's easy to put them on 2m and 70cm, and reasonably simple to retune to the 900MHz 33cm ham band, but I've always wanted to play with 220. Once you catch Black Radio Disease, it's hard to settle for the abysmal build quality and often terrible audio of most ham gear.

N4KVE

I have seen Waris radios from other countries for sale on that auction site that work on 220 mhz. The problem is the software is not available in the US even if you wanted to legally buy it, as the radio isn't sold here. On these particular radios the seller was including a "disc", but I assumed it was the "owner's manual".

KF5YDR

Hmm. I'd love to get my hands on a MOF 230, but those seem to all be in the hands of collectors.

mikegilbert

MHz so good
I have seen Waris radios from other countries for sale on that auction site that work on 220 mhz. The problem is the software is not available in the US even if you wanted to legally buy it, as the radio isn't sold here. On these particular radios the seller was including a "disc", but I assumed it was the "owner's manual".

What are you talking about? The Waris Series has been available in the USA in the 220mhz bandsplit for years. It has since been cancelled, but they are definitely out there. They program with regular CPS.

http://www.daywireless.com/downloads/motorola/motorola_ht1250ls+_specsheet.pdf

This thread on batlabs goes into detail on how to get amateur 220 stuff into the radio:

Batboard • View topic - HT1250 220MHz Modification - Any help?

Furthermore, there are no less than three 220mhz CDM1550LS+ mobiles on ebay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTOROLA-CDM1550LS-220MHz-LTR-MOBILE-TWO-WAY-RADIO-MODEL-AAM25MHF4DP5AN-/200977954307?pt=2_Way_Radios_FRS&hash=item2ecb383603

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-CDM1550-220-MHz-Mobile-HAM-/331265779423?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Transceivers&hash=item4d20faa6df

They'll do 220 ham with some software tweaks as well:

http://communications.support/threads/316-CDM1550LS-Plus-200MHz-To-220-Ham-Band-Change

Last edited:

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I had several HT1250's and CDM1550's on 220... they worked and sounded great. My interest in 220 died and I sold them all off except for the guts of one 220mhz HT1250.

KF5YDR

I guess that's true. 220 has always been the weird experimenter band anyway. ^_^

SCPD

QRT
yes-i-fully-agree-smiley-emoticon.gif

SCPD

QRT

In NJ 220 is quite active ,we have 22+ repeaters that get used at different times of the day.Weird that Yaesu only gives you 1 watt.Another alternative is the Kenwood TM-742A with UT220.TYT makes a nice mobile with 55 watts for 220 called the TH-9000,careful it comes in other bands too so read the ad. Amazon.com : TYT TH-9000D 55 Watt 222Mhz Transceiver Amateur Ham Radio 200ch 220 Mhz : Automotive Cb Radios And Scanners : Electronics

http://www.radio-mart.net/TYT-TH-9000D-220MHz-50w-Transceiver.html

Yes if you did p25 on 220,you'd be pretty much private.The CDM-1550 is a great radio!

Last edited:

KF5YDR

Yeah out there on the East Coast I hear y'all can't use most of 440 cos of Pave Paws.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Bringing back an old post as we're looking into building a 220 MHz repeater here in Michigan because our 70-CM range is terrible with all the flat area and tree, 220 MHz has proven to be a real winner band here, especially since they're aren't any 2-Meters pairs available now or for the foreseeable future... So other radios that support the 220 MHz band and can be purchase new or used are the following Tait units; they are true commercial grade radios that require no modifications for the amateur radio bands or for widebanding either and their repeaters are full-duty cycle as well; be sure to checkout the following:

• TB8100 Base Station / Repeater
  • TB7100 Base Station / Repeater
  • TM8250 Mobile
  • TP8100 Portable

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
There was a dealer in VA (Mechem Radio) that had converted numerous VHF Micors for 220 mhz, and he had hundreds of Fed high spit mobiles. I don't know if he is around anymore, and I havn't seen his ad in any of the trades for years. Last I spoke to him he had retired from DC Fire as a Medic in late 90's and was running just his radio business.

Just looked him up in G, he is still in business.

Last edited:

ecps92

There are plenty of 440 Repeaters around and in-use

Not Flame throwers, and owners had to adjust antenna's but Pave Paws has not caused the end of 440, Yes those closer to Cape Cod (Pave Paw Location) were more impacted, but the end was not/is not near.

Yeah out there on the East Coast I hear y'all can't use most of 440 cos of Pave Paws.

Status
Not open for further replies.