O.C.C.S. TRS. Co Wide site change

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyhetzel

Hi, I noticed the CCCS countywide site freq. list changed today and was wondering why some freq. changed, anyone in the know? I had 17 freq. before this change. Thanks in-advance..

Last edited:

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Hi Scotty.

No change other than the DB. The CW Cell has had 21 frequencies assigned to it for years. The DB was missing a few.

Attachments

• CCCS CW.JPG
    CCCS CW.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 539

Markb

Premium Subscriber
I think part of it is the fact that most scanners only need the Control Channel frequencies.
I hadn't really noticed until you mentioned the update.

scottyhetzel

I think part of it is the fact that most scanners only need the Control Channel frequencies.
I hadn't really noticed until you mentioned the update.

Well, if a client is using the freq. the control system assigns the freq. that I do not have in my list, than I would miss my talkgroup voice. That is my understanding...

Markb

Premium Subscriber
If you have your scanner programmed correctly, the CC freqs are all you need. The scanner reads the assigned channel number (800 Mhz channels are numbered) from the CC data and switches the scanner to that channel number. Motorola radios operate the same way.
Unless you have an older scanner, you are good.

scottyhetzel

Hi Mark, I have a 996xt/15xt , so are you saying I only need the control channels and the control channels tells the scanner what freq to go to. I dont need to program the 18 channels under the list ? I guess I am a little confused... I thought you have to have all channel programmed including the CC and alternate channels.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
all you need to add are 856.7125 and 857.4625 to either radio to monitor the Countywide Cell. The reason you add both of these control channels is because the system switches on a daily basis to either one of these control channels.

That's it. The scanner radio will monitor ones of these frequencies and determine which one on a particular day is carrying the control data on that frequencies.

oracavon

I have a 996xt/15xt, so are you saying I only need the control channels and the control channels tells the scanner what freq to go to. I dont need to program the 18 channels under the list ?

That's exactly correct. All you need are the control (and alternate control) channels. The data on the currently active control channel includes the frequencies of the other (voice) channels, and the XT scanners use that information to tune them automatically. You don't need to program those frequencies into the scanner. That's why the mode is called "Control Channel (CC) Only" mode. Only the control channels need to be programmed in.

scottyhetzel

So this whole time , I did not need to program all the channels just the control channels? The control channel tells the scanner what freq. to go to even if you don't program it in the bank? I'm blown away..

brandon

Database Admin
Yes RCS and other Motorola systems only need the cc freqs.

You might have been thinking everything had to be entered since the old Riverside County EDACS system required all freqs to be programmed. EDACS and LTR needed the freqs programmed into the radio in proper LCN order.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

oracavon

I must have missed this years ago. Can't believe this... It's a PITA to have programmed this... I assume RCS is programmed this way too ? Where did I miss reading this... ? I'm dumfounded

I first heard about it when I was reading the manual of my first trunking radio (BC780XLT) to learn how to program it for trunked radio systems. It had a whole page entitled "Control Channel Only Mode".

scottyhetzel

So iCIS is the same way, San berdo. TRS... I'm in awe...

Another member sent me a file with CC only, I could not figure out where the rest of the channels were...now I have clarity...

scottyhetzel

Yes RCS and other Motorola systems only need the cc freqs.

You might have been thinking everything had to be entered since the old Riverside County EDACS system required all freqs to be programmed. EDACS and LTR needed the freqs programmed into the radio in proper LCN order.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

I guess your correct. I just can't believe I missed this memo.. It will be so easy to add systems, now. So there is absolutely no gain programming the channels since the CC handles that part ? I read marks scanner , manuals, posts and still missed this. I'm glad MarkB brought it up. My arcxt files has tons of hours programming all the channels. Very very interesting Brandon.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Entering only the CCs for ICIS and OCCS actually seems to improve scanning speed for me. I also used to enter all the channels, but figured out that only the CCs need to be entered a while back, and indeed, seems to improve scanning performance. Maybe its my imagination, but I think its less pain, and perhaps some gain.
Steve AA6IO

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Maybe they've changed radio systems in the last couple of years but one big reason I always program all frequencies for each site in is through experience if they change which frequency they are using for a CC then you're screwed without it.

With it, the scanner just picks up the new one and goes on with life.

There used to be a lot of posts in here about "Where did such and such go?" and it would turn out to be a simple CC switch and they hadn't "Went" anywhere.

Something to keep in mind.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
There has been no changes to the Orange County CCCS system in the past few years at all. To use best practices you just enter in your primary and secondary CC channels and whatever changes are made to the system you won't notice it unless they re-band and this is going to happen for sure next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.