need help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viperert

I moved to York, PA and I have a BCT7 scanner and a Pro94 trunking scanner. I programmed the frequencies for the York county police, but all I hear is the Lancaster county frequencies that I had when I lived in Lancaster. Is York county police on different frequencies? Also, I've been hearing a lot about digital scanners, whats the difference of digital versus my trunking scanner? Any help is greatly appreciated.

reconrider8

theres 2 main types of scanners conventional and trunking but then theirs digital trunking and analog trunking. analog trunking is limited in this day in time with the recent rush of p25 systems but a digital scanner can run more systems but is still limited with the dmr systems which also are making a growing run now.

DickH

I moved to York, PA and I have a BCT7 scanner and a Pro94 trunking scanner. I programmed the frequencies for the York county police, but all I hear is the Lancaster county frequencies that I had when I lived in Lancaster. Is York county police on different frequencies? Also, I've been hearing a lot about digital scanners, whats the difference of digital versus my trunking scanner? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Your scanners are analog. The difference between Analog and Digital can be roughly equated to the difference between AM and FM radio.

Viperert

thanks for all your help. I'll be investing in a digital trunking scanner, any advice on a particular model?

737mech

Premium Subscriber
thanks for all your help. I'll be investing in a digital trunking scanner, any advice on a particular model?

That system is a Phase 1 p25 so the BCD-996XT or 396xt will work. The RadioShack pro-197, 106 ok if you can find them. Gre scanners psr-500, psr-600. If money is no object go for the new Undien BCD536hp or 436hp. If you only need that system and similiar phase 1 types there are many to choose from. See up top under wiki/ radio models/ digital trunktrackers.

dmg1969

Yes, as they said, York County is P25 Phase 1. The HomePatrol (HP-1) is an option as well as are the BCD-996XT and BCD-396XT. If you want to invest in a scanner to do Phase 2 P25, the new BCDx36HP scanners. I have an HP-1 because i use it as a mobile in my vehicle most times (I live in Perry Co. and commute to Dauphin Co. for work) and it picks it up fine. It depends on how you want to use it as to the best scanner for your needs.

Viperert

Thanks for your help and input Dave. I will be shopping for those particular models. I basically want to relax and listen to the police activity at home.

dmg1969

I have no experience with any of the mentioned scanners other than the HP-1. My best advice is to take the time to consider a few things. What features are important to you?

If you buy a desktop unit like the BCD996XT or BC536HP...will you regret not getting a hand held (BCD396XT or BC4365HP) that you can take on a quick trip to the store? Do you want the ability to listen to P25 Phase 2 IF any nearby counties would switch (which I don't think is likely within the next few years)? PA is in the talking stages of replacing the PA STARNet (Open Sky) radio system with a Phase 2 system, but that is years away. If so, you need either the 436 or 536.

If you want a scanner you can use as a base, but also take along in the car, the HP-1 might be a consideration. I got mine MAINLY for use in my vehicle, but I often hook it up as a base on the weekends. Decide which one you want and then price it out. I think that is how you get your best deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.