BC246T: USB-1 Compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circa

I have a BC246T on it's way and it comes with a Serial programming cable.

My new motherboard no longer has a RS232 Serial connector, so I either need to get a Serial-to-USB adapter or a USB-1 programming cable.

I read that only the BC125AT supports a USB programming cable, but the uniden site says any DMA scanner is compatible with the USB-1 cable.

Is the Uniden BC246T able to use a USB-1 cable?
Are there any issues or limitations to using a USB-1 cable with the BC246T?

Thank you.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
The thing you need to be careful of depends on your operating system. If using win7 be sure to buy a usb-1 with a pl-2303 HXD chipset. The older version USB-1 cord has a PL2303 XA/HXA and only works on Win XP. There is a detect program available at prolific.com
The new USB-1 with PL-2303 HXD will work on the BC246T

N8IAA

I have a BC246T on it's way and it comes with a Serial programming cable.

My new motherboard no longer has a RS232 Serial connector, so I either need to get a Serial-to-USB adapter or a USB-1 programming cable.

I read that only the BC125AT supports a USB programming cable, but the uniden site says any DMA scanner is compatible with the USB-1 cable.

Is the Uniden BC246T able to use a USB-1 cable?
Are there any issues or limitations to using a USB-1 cable with the BC246T?

Thank you.

Yes the USB-1 will work with the 246T. The 125AT uses a USB to Mini USB which does come with the scanner. Completely different cable then for the DMA scanners.
Yes, you can use a RS232 to USB cable.
Larry

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm using a Plugable USB to RS-232 adapter I got from Amazon about two years ago for my x96 scanners. The cost is $14.95.

Amazon.com: Plugable USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Adapter (Prolific PL2303HX Rev D Chipset): Computers & Accessories

This adapter has the HXD chipset which was needed as I migrated from Windows XP and Windows 7 to Windows 8. The USB-1 cable I got many years ago had that HXA chipset and it wouldn't work with Windows 8. The programming cable that came with my scanners connects to the RS 232 end.

As noted above, the new USB-1 cables from Uniden do have the HXD chipset. The cost from both Uniden and Scannermaster is $29.95.

Uniden USB Cable

USB Cable for all Uniden DMA Scanners

Lastly a word of caution, which you'll be reminded of when you get whichever you choose. Download and install the drivers BEFORE connecting the adapter or cable, otherwise it won't work properly until you jump through a couple of extra hoops.

Circa

thank you everyone for the information.

My USB-1 cable arrived today and it seems to just be a regular USB cable with an end that fits.
When I plug it in and play with the Baud rates, nothing happens.
I don't even get the windows device added sound/removed sound.
The device doesn't show in device manager and there aren't any COM ports detectable while the scanner is plugged in.

Am I missing doing something to make it connect?

Also, will this RS232-to-USB work?
usbtoserialadaptor_zpsa9f9138a.jpg

Thanks again!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

My USB-1 cable arrived today and it seems to just be a regular USB cable with an end that fits.
The device doesn't show in device manager and there aren't any COM ports detectable while the scanner is plugged in.

Thanks again!
For the USB-1, you need to download and install the correct drivers before plugging in the cable.

The drivers can be found on Uniden's page, or ScannerMaster. (Scroll down below the description details on ScannerMaster's page.). Download the driver that corresponds to the version of Windows you have. Windows 8 takes one driver, with a different one for Windows 7 or XP, and a third version for Windows 95 or ME.

As far as whether that adapter will work, no way to tell. It looks similar to one I own, that does work. However, some of the USB->Serial cables use counterfeit Prolific chips, and Prolific has designed their drivers to detect and disable operation of these.

See Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Most likely a serial driver is needed. It should be available on the adapter manufacturer's website. After the driver is downloaded and installed, you should be okay. I don't know what sounds your computer has, but when I plug in the Serial to USB adapter, it makes the same sound as when I plug in a flash drive.

The thing pictured above ain't a USB-1 cable. Below is what the Uniden USB-1 cable looks like.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

Thanks again!
Circa, did you order a genuine USB-1 cable, from a dealer such as ScannerMaster, The Ham Station, or direct from Uniden? Or, did you purchase one off of an eBay listing, as in this thread. There are some "Uniden" cables out there being sold that are not the actual cable. They are missing the electronics in the cable to convert the USB connection into a virtual serial port.Read thru that thread I linked for more details. As ofd8001 has noted, when you plug in a 'true' cable, you'll hear that "thump" as Windows tries to recognize it & find the correct driver.

Circa

Circa, did you order a genuine USB-1 cable, from a dealer such as ScannerMaster, The Ham Station, or direct from Uniden? Or, did you purchase one off of an eBay listing, as in this thread. There are some "Uniden" cables out there being sold that are not the actual cable. They are missing the electronics in the cable to convert the USB connection into a virtual serial port.Read thru that thread I linked for more details. As ofd8001 has noted, when you plug in a 'true' cable, you'll hear that "thump" as Windows tries to recognize it & find the correct driver.

I think I got one of those cables that aren't USB-1.
Bought from eBay and received a USB M/F extension cable + a M/M usb adapter end that fits in the female end of the extension cable then fits the scanner.

That must be why it isn't working.

I'm just going to get a RS232 to usb adapter and use my serial cable.

Thank you everyone for helping me figure everything out.

soundstyle

Premium Subscriber

I appreciate the information on this thread and this thread - http://forums.radioreference.com/un...party-usb-prgraming-cable-not-showing-up.html

I also purchased a cable from ebay user xcessbuy - it was advertised as: "USB PP Interface Cable Cord For Uniden Bearcat DMA Scanner Radio BCD396XT BR330"

USB PP Interface Cable Cord for Uniden Bearcat DMA Scanner Radio BCD396XT BR330 | eBay

I'm not sure why the guy keeps selling these if he has to keep refunding people their money?

Oh well, I hope more people find out about this before they make their purchase. I wasted a good amount of time trying to get this dumb thing to work. Hopefully anyone else having problems will find these threads and know to stop wasting their time and put in for a refund with eBay.

Circa

I appreciate the information on this thread and this thread - http://forums.radioreference.com/un...party-usb-prgraming-cable-not-showing-up.html

I also purchased a cable from ebay user xcessbuy - it was advertised as: "USB PP Interface Cable Cord For Uniden Bearcat DMA Scanner Radio BCD396XT BR330"

USB PP Interface Cable Cord for Uniden Bearcat DMA Scanner Radio BCD396XT BR330 | eBay

I'm not sure why the guy keeps selling these if he has to keep refunding people their money?

Oh well, I hope more people find out about this before they make their purchase. I wasted a good amount of time trying to get this dumb thing to work. Hopefully anyone else having problems will find these threads and know to stop wasting their time and put in for a refund with eBay.
I bought my fake from a different seller.
Was a USB extension cable with an end that fit the scanner. It was missing the serial converter.
Seller said it worked for other people but still gave me a refund without needing to open a dispute.

I knew it was a fake as soon as I saw it and honestly didn't waste too much time trying to get it working.
Now I have a 10ft USB extension cable that I got for free!

Not sure why sellers have to lie and sell fakes.
I think they are just profiting off people who don't bother with the refund or don't know how to request a refund.
Preying on the weak. :/

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.