And this why I always say:

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I have pretty often mentioned that the newer scanners can really monitor just about everything that is monitorable. When it comes to fleetnet I will explain why I always say to punch in all the talkgroups that are relevant.

I monitor Brantford and Cayuga on a regular basis. I mentioned earlier in the month that on of the MTO Enforcement talkgroups dispatched by London had the Middlesex and Elgin Co units patched with it.

People here sometimes complain, or they dont know how to really get the best use of their scanner while monitoring fleetnet. With the newer scanners, you will hear Middlesex units and Elgin units patched together. But if you enter in the MTO Enforcement talkgroups, even if they are boring or barely used I had them on and I heard the Middlesex and Elgin patch, patched with this MTO Enforcement talkgroup.

I love hearing these things, I record the RID's, I follow calls out of my area. It's fun to scan like this for me at least.

And I noticed over the last couple of days, activity on the MNR 2784 talkgroup, OPS 2 Soutwest Ontario, London Dispatch.

So I first an surprised when I see this rare talkgroup active and better still, I hear 6 Mike and 6 Alpha Papa units calling in. Check the DB and my files, see that 6 Mike is Lambton, I am hearing places in Lambton that sound familiar so I confirm I wasnt hearing things.

And luckily, I know a guy out that way who once told me that Alpha Papa units are 1st nations police and there is a reserve that fits in the city of Sarnia, North of LaSalle line which divides town of St.Clair.

In closing, I am saying that, if you stop hearing your normal chatter on fleetnet do some investigating. If you live even in a rural area where the OPP might or might not police, there are provincial roads all over the province. Even in desolate (for air traffic) Bruce County, if I stopped hearing the Romeo units on the 'pen, the Grey Lima units and the South Bruce units I would either run my scanner in search or before hand, have all the MTO Enf's talkgroups, at least for London dispatch and all of the 6 units in SW Ontario and the MNR London Dispatches.

Summer time I imagine that there are more patches put in place to cover for vacationing peoples or whatever, expect the unexpected and make sure you have your scanner set up to be able to scan and search.

E

Muxlow

Super Secret
Only thing iv ever herd on the MNR groups is officers chatting about random stuff. But yeah! Iv always put everything in, just use a different bank for MNR/MTO stuff.. once in a while ill enable it just to see whats there.. or watch my screens and notice them groups are in use and enable em.

Who knows the fun tid bits youd catch :)

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
....run my scanner in search....
With the memory space available in today's scanners I put everything from the DB into them.

Then always run in search mode. It doesn't take very long to L/O the stuff you actually don't want to search for. A couple weeks ago I had to L/O an ENC TG for the first time in nearly a year.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Keep in mind that the main reason that talkgroups go missing is the fact that older Uniden scanners don't handle patches correctly.

moonbounce

I have an old Pro 2006 with a discriminator tap and with DSD plus I think I am getting all patches with all talk groups also.

MB

tilt404

Keep in mind that the main reason that talkgroups go missing is the fact that older Uniden scanners don't handle patches correctly.

I'm not sure if the uniden 396xt is one that doesn't handle well. Just got one and sold my gre psr800 but I notice uniden gets a bit confused on the display. Still getting use to the differences between the two. I have heard more distant TGIDs and it will show the distant TGID but patches are still confusing to notice on the uniden.

frankh

Only thing iv ever herd on the MNR groups is officers chatting about random stuff. But yeah! Iv always put everything in, just use a different bank for MNR/MTO stuff.. once in a while ill enable it just to see whats there.. or watch my screens and notice them groups are in use and enable em.

Who knows the fun tid bits youd catch :)

A couple of years ago the MNR did a full scale police type of surveillance operation for several weeks down here in the windsor area to catch some folks illegally catching and selling fish

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
The ESSU talkgroups used to get quite a workout. I heard them tailing a suspected poacher one night. Sounded pretty much what you typically hear on the CISO channels.

They went encrypted a little while later and then totally disappeared off Fleetnet.

tilt404

The ESSU talkgroups used to get quite a workout. I heard them tailing a suspected poacher one night. Sounded pretty much what you typically hear on the CISO channels.

They went encrypted a little while later and then totally disappeared off Fleetnet.

I might of been listening to that same conversation since I remember it well. Seemed out of place at the time and way too much info for a non-enc TGID. I kept asking myself, this is MNR? Did feel more like CISO since I once heard them slip up also years ago and the audio got out there.

tac7

What mode of communication does the OPP use when Fleetnet is down? One can hear EMS going back to the old Provincial frequencies (e.g. 150.1000 MHz), but what is the OPP using?

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
What mode of communication does the OPP use when Fleetnet is down? One can hear EMS going back to the old Provincial frequencies (e.g. 150.1000 MHz), but what is the OPP using?

It's not very often that Fleetnet goes down.

If it does, they switch to Sim 11.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
This patch with Lambton and MNR OPS 2 continues.

Today I am hearing X-RAY call signs for Pinery Prov Park. Do X-RAY units patrol provincial parks exclusive in this area? Its a large enough park and its a holiday weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.