SDR# & HDSDR max out the CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkfish457

I am having a problem with both SDR# & HDSDR running the CPU at 90-100%. I can't change frequencies without stopping the dongle, changing freqs and re-starting. The computer will lock for several seconds sometimes needing to restart the it.

These aren't the only programs I'm having problems with. Virtual Radar Server, ADSB Scope, are doing the same thing. The planes stop and jump positions.

One more issue, on SDR# the WFM voice sputters, but the freq is locked on, no drift problems only sputtering.

Here are my computer specs:
Compaq Presario w/INTEL Celeron 3.20 GHz, 2 GB memory.

Any help is appreciated.

pinkfish457

SCPD

QRT
What OS are you running. Vista. Windows 7 or Windows 8. What sound card and video card are you using? Is this onboard video and audio or dedicated cards. Download Team Viewer and i can remote in and fix your issues. I have not been on here in a while but a ton of people on here will tell you that i can fix your issues with sdr# and hdsdr.

moonbounce

First thing I would recommend is upgrade your ram, my CPU is an Intel 3.3 Ghz and I upgraded to 4 GB of ram, made a big difference.

MB

foxtail

Premium Subscriber
I second moonbounce...Intel Celeron cpu just don't cut it. Have you tried on a pc with more horsepower? I have been able to run sdr# on dell d630 with intel 8500 core due.

moonbounce

Foxtail, that is interesting, I also have a Dell d630, but it has the lower powered Intel Centrino T7500 2.2 Ghz plus 2 gb of ram and I can run SDR but I can't get it to stop on a frequency. I am assuming that the laptop is under powered. I am also thinking of adding more ram. I bought the computer to run DSD plus only, and it does that with no problem.

Interesting though, my desktop can run all the programs above it has an Intel e5800 CPU @ 3.3 GHz and 4 GB ram. That is why I am thinking he should have at least 4 GB ram.

If I were to get a computer again to run DSD plus, SDR Sharp and VB cable I would buy at least an Intel i5.

MB

SCPD

QRT
Based on the clock speed, I'm guessing the 3.2 Ghz Celeron is a single core processor. A more recent dual core 1.8 Ghz processor will outrun it despite the slower clock speed.

Does this Celeron machine have USB 2.0 ports? If not, that will cause sputtering.

To get SDR# running on the Celeron, set the FFT resolution low - like 512 or 1024. Also, drop the RTL stick's sample rate to it's lowest - 250 ksps. That should work - even on a USB 1.1 port.

You will get more aliasing at the lower sample rate but results may be good enough to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.