CHP Tan1 39.140 / Ocside/Temecula

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyhetzel

Ok , DB was changed, looks like the DB still shows Border blue 1 and Tan the same far as the base freq.. I understand there is a tower in San Jacinto (helmet) area transmitting to my Palm Springs valley. I couldn't figure out lately while I been getting distant traffic on Blue 1. Anyone know why that station moved to Blue 1 ?

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Temecula Area is on Blue 1 multicast with Tan 1 due to issues with the Tan 1 simulcast. It will operate there until they can assign another channel for the area or solve the simulcast problem.

Mike_G_D

Yeah, they're multicasting on both Tan-1 and BLUE-1 with the Tan coming in strong for me and the transmission on Blue-1 coming in much weaker - confirming what Don wrote. I think the RR database change jumped the gun a little on this - as Don indicated, it's a temporary matter for only a certain portion of the Border Tan users and not all of them. In my area, the TAN (39.800MHz) is still going strong!

-Mike

Last edited:

carlt

They have been using both for most of this year. Within the last hour, I heard their dispatcher telling units to switch to the TAN because BLUE is going to be used for a detail. I have also heard a dispatcher on BLUE state that she/he is their dedicated dispatcher, but don't know why this was stated. I don't normally listen to TAN, but have BLUE on.

Mike_G_D

In any case, the Blue has not "become" the Tan nor vice-versa. There has been no frequency versus color designation change for the Border division as the database now seems to indicate; the Tan is still 39.800MHz!

-Mike

scottyhetzel

Thanks gentlemen !

Kma371 , understood , however most listeners would normally monitor their local station and the division blue(s) , so in theory the listener would hear the Tan, just not on the actual Tan.. ..Or just maybe put a note under the tan that the dispatch center is using blue for some reason, for a year. I just don't understand the logic on the DB change. Some of the posters said it goes back and forth between the freq. so dispatch has not technically on the blue 100%. .
Your thoughts ?

carlt

I am pretty sure that I brought up the question the beginning of the year after hearing the use of BLUE1, and asking if anyone knew why. I believe that the summation was that TAN was not covering some of the Temecula area well, so they were patching/simulcasting until they can fix the problem. I don't listen to TAN unless I am going that direction, but I do have BLUE1 up and as far as I can tell with unit numbers, it sounds like TAN.

scottyhetzel

I am pretty sure that I brought up the question the beginning of the year after hearing the use of BLUE1, and asking if anyone knew why. I believe that the summation was that TAN was not covering some of the Temecula area well, so they were patching/simulcasting until they can fix the problem. I don't listen to TAN unless I am going that direction, but I do have BLUE1 up and as far as I can tell with unit numbers, it sounds like TAN.

Thanks Carl, that makes sense.

Mike_G_D

But TAN1 is still 39.8MHz and not 39.14MHz which is BLUE1. Just because traffic from one channel is being multicasted on a different channel does not make the latter simply "become" the originating channel! I think the database change, in this instance, is not accurate - TAN1's frequency did not change, the traffic is being carried on the BLUE1 (as well as the TAN1) temporarily until (if I am understanding Don correctly) a new dedicated channel can be made available for the Temecula units (the 115 units, thereby separating them, communications channel-wise, from the Oceanside 92 units). It seems to me that we should return the database Border TAN1 entry to what it was prior to this recent change.

-Mike

kma371

QRT
Its been changed back.

We rely on our members to submit changes. We also take their word that its an accurate change. Unfortunately in this case, it wasn't accurate :)

Thankfully we have the forums for discussions like this.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
I was really disappointed to notice the Tan 1 frequency had been overwritten with Blue 1 during a drive through Temecula last week, and I was unable to find the original frequency. Fortunately we have an active user community here. Thanks for keeping us honest and getting it changed back in a timely manner. :)

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I have been listening to these 2 frequencies for the last few months being patched. I have also driven all over the county, and can tell you that BLUE 1 "Tan" traffic comes in strong down SOUTH (city) and on the WEST SIDE, and TAN comes in stronger up north past the 78/15. They must have a TAN transmitter that went down in SD County so they patched the BLUE in for the southern most units. I can barely hear TAN on the I-5 through Encinitas, and I have a Motorola with an actual ex-CHP low band Laird 46" whip.

Paul

scottyhetzel

Paul, thanks for the update... That is great info. . I find it hard to believe that the state radio techs are not working on the North tower issue. BTW I have an old antennex cw-30 model tuned to 42 MHz..and that antenna is amazing. I retired it for my Austin spectra.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
... I find it hard to believe that the state radio techs are not working on the North tower issue...

Scotty, I'm trying to understand this comment in the context of this thread.
What 'North tower issue" do you think isn't being worked on?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I've got the Oceanside CHP PIO's (Bettencourt) number. Next time there is an active incident up there I will use it as an excuse to find out what the dealio is with the poor Tan reception. :)

Paul

scottyhetzel

Scotty, I'm trying to understand this comment in the context of this thread.
What 'North tower issue" do you think isn't being worked on?

Anderegg , covered it. Bad reception issue in North Co. S.D. ...reason why CHP is using blue...if the reception problem was resolved, I would assume the dispatch center would not be utilizing the Blue freq. daily.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Started looking at this thread few days ago, so entered these in my scan list. I am in Cerritos, right near Knotts Berry Farm in Buena Park (I am in LA County one half mile from LA/OC line). Using 536HP and 2/440 vertical on roof.
39.140 Tan (Oceanside 92/Temecula (115) coming in quite regularly with about RSSI of 220.
I presume I am hearing the Oceanside site, because also hear
Orange 1 San Diego (87) very well with RSSI of about 200.
Steve AA6IO

Status
Not open for further replies.