CSP trunk system ID's the same as Suffolk County NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

w1haf

Does anyone else have a problem when receiving the CSP trunk system. I receive a non digital trunk system from Suffolk county NY that uses the same talkgroup ID's as the CSP. I have to lock out several of them so I can just listen to the local CSP talkgroups. One of them comes up as : CH 38 E-Disp 2 Motorola ID 03248.
I have tried setting my scanner to the closed mode so it only scans the talkgroups I have programmed but many off the CSP talkgroups are the same on the Suffolk county system.. I am using a Pro 96 digital trunking scanner.

ecps92

Sounds like you need to LOCK OUT the LI Control channel.

Is that same CC actually a CC on the CT System (Zone) you are trying to listen to ?
If not, locking it out should do no harm.

Locking out the TG's is not going to solve the problem, since it appears your radio is capturing the LI Control channel.

Does anyone else have a problem when receiving the CSP trunk system. I receive a non digital trunk system from Suffolk county NY that uses the same talkgroup ID's as the CSP. I have to lock out several of them so I can just listen to the local CSP talkgroups. One of them comes up as : CH 38 E-Disp 2 Motorola ID 03248.
I have tried setting my scanner to the closed mode so it only scans the talkgroups I have programmed but many off the CSP talkgroups are the same on the Suffolk county system.. I am using a Pro 96 digital trunking scanner.

cg

Premium Subscriber
This issue came up before. You likely have all the CSP control channels in one bank and are scanning that bank. 851.4125 is an alternate CC for Site 11, Skiff Mtn Intellipeater for Troop L. It is also one of the Suffolk Cty CC. Since they both use the 3248 talkgroup, you can hear them when Suffolk goes to that CC.
Just delete that frequency from your list.

chris

bmeehan282

Premium Subscriber
chris you are correct on the Skiff Mt site, and also correct to delete that channel from the CSP system, however this guy is picking up some other site if he lives in Waterford, or he's just picking up the Suffolk County system directly across the Sound. Switch your scanner from Talk Group Search to Talk Group Scan, that will also filter out the Suffolk system.
I pick up the Suffolk County units all the time in Western CT on the CSP system, it's definitely a quirk with the scanner, and that control channel..

bernie

ecps92

the Bands have been open for a few weeks, well into UHF T-Band and today, well into the 900 amateur, so it's very likely he is locking onto the LI system and not the CT

chris you are correct on the Skiff Mt site, and also correct to delete that channel from the CSP system, however this guy is picking up some other site if he lives in Waterford, or he's just picking up the Suffolk County system directly across the Sound. Switch your scanner from Talk Group Search to Talk Group Scan, that will also filter out the Suffolk system.
I pick up the Suffolk County units all the time in Western CT on the CSP system, it's definitely a quirk with the scanner, and that control channel..

bernie

bmeehan282

Premium Subscriber
I am told by very reliable sources that the control channel in question is not used on the CSP system, so you can just delete that channel as well..

bernie

w1haf

Thank you for all your replies and suggestions.

1. I live right on the coast of Connecticut directly across Long Island Sound. I can monitor everything from Long Island no problem.

2. I have determined the Suffolk TRS control channel and locked it out. That works until the control channel changes which can be daily.

3. Suffolk is a Motorola Type II Smartnet Analog trunk system. The CSP is a Motorola Type II Smartnet Digital system. The Pro 96 automatically detects the type of signal on the CC and monitors it.

4. When I switch to talkgroup scan scan I have locked out most of the talkgroups that are in common. The only problem is that I can not hear the CSP groups when I do this which is not a big deal except for the ones for Troop E which is what I want to hear.

w1haf

I will try locking out the analog CC channel again and see how often I need to change that and what talkgroups I will miss. Thank you all for the suggestions.
When I hit the lottery I will by a newer scanner.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Without knowing how you have the CSP set up it is tough to give an exact answer but if you have your scanner in the car, just put the basic 9 Sites in. If you feel that you will be driving in an area where monitoring the couple of square miles each Intellipeater covers is important, put them in another Bank/System. You should be able to hear any of the Troop TGs each Site offers without locking them out or locking out needed frequencies.

chris

w1haf

I am using the programming downloaded directly from Radio Reference database into Win 96 software. I seem to have corrected most of the problem by locking out the analog CC. I just have to see how often they change it.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
I hear Suffolk all the time, living one town over from you, but can't say I have ever picked up SCPD on the CSP system. That seems odd. I have CSP programed into three radios and it is always just CSP coming through.

I also have it set up to only pick up P25, no analog and I believe SCPD is not P25.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Every time you update the database from RR, your lockouts will probably be cleared as well. So after you update, the next time the frequencies/talkgroups match up, you would need to lockout again.

chris

w1haf

I have an older scanner that I can't just set to p25. I have it set to Motorola type II system. I will have to double check but I don't think I can set it to just p25. I did not know the CSP system went to P25?

cg

Premium Subscriber
Still considered Motorola Type II. Some scanners have a system type selection that is Motorola Type II/P25, so that might be a source for confusion.

chris

Status
Not open for further replies.