• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

OK to try powering up a 38 year old CB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

At the local Goodwill store today I found an old 23 channel Royce CB radio, model 1-658. I bought it for $4.00 and took it home. Externally it is exceptionally clean, only minor scratches and seems to have been very well cared for. That's pretty good considering the manufacture date on the back is June 1976! However, I'm starting to think that the electrolytic capacitors and other electric components inside are so old that it might catch fire the first time I turn it on, or the first time I try to key the mic (I'm an amateur radio operator so I know the importance of proper antenna, low SWR, etc.). Do you think that, considering its age, it might not be a good idea to even attempt powering it up? I'd hate to risk damaging my power supply on a 38 year old, four dollar CB radio.

k3cfc

Silent Key
At the local Goodwill store today I found an old 23 channel Royce CB radio, model 1-658. I bought it for $4.00 and took it home. Externally it is exceptionally clean, only minor scratches and seems to have been very well cared for. That's pretty good considering the manufacture date on the back is June 1976! However, I'm starting to think that the electrolytic capacitors and other electric components inside are so old that it might catch fire the first time I turn it on, or the first time I try to key the mic (I'm an amateur radio operator so I know the importance of proper antenna, low SWR, etc.). Do you think that, considering its age, it might not be a good idea to even attempt powering it up? I'd hate to risk damaging my power supply on a 38 year old, four dollar CB radio.

Bring the voltage up slowly wear safety classes if you have the covers off. exploding caps.

jhooten

Found 1978 dated Midland at a thrift shop. Plugged it in and it worked. But if you are worried put it on a variable voltage power supply and bring the voltage up slowly.

Dawn

Not such a good idea with solid state equipment. That used to be a good strategy bringing up tube equipment with a variac and letting the caps re form. Better to use a power supply with current limiting set to approximately quiescent standby ~200 ma or so and start around 12v and work up to 13.8 if the supply doesn't trip. Chances are if you're going to have a cap blow, it's either going to be at the input of the regulators or main filter caps in an AC supply or at the differential pair or audio IC. If the radio has tantalum caps, all bets are off as they didn't age well. Highly unlikely in japanese consumer products though.

wbswetnam

Eeeehhh I decided not to bother. I'll stick with ham radio it's more fun anyway.... the old Royce was an impulse buy... I abandoned it on top of a picnic table in the city park. I'll let somebody else risk their car electrical system.

iamhere300

Really? Sad to see what Ham Radio has come to.

Put a fuse on it, operate it with a power supply, and fire it up. DO NOT USE A CAR BATTERY unless you are appropiately fused. A car battery can weld stuff together a lot quicker than a small power supply.

As long as you have the fuse, you will be fine. (Where there not questions on the tech test about fusing and amperage?)

Why bother? To learn.

Dawn

" I'm an amateur radio operator so I know the importance of proper antenna, low SWR, etc.). Do you think that, considering its age, it might not be a good idea to even attempt powering it up?"

I never thought I'd live the day to hear a statement like this from a self-confessed amateur radio license holder.

Times have changed.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I abandoned it on top of a picnic table in the city park. I'll let somebody else risk their car electrical system.

So you're wasting a potentially perfectly good radio, and littering to boot. Should I assume your hobbies include peeing on electric fences?

Status
Not open for further replies.