Pinellas County S.O. Recent Audio Quality Degradation

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
Recently I have noticed various units (not dispatch) having fair to sometimes poor audio quality. I am listening with my 396XT while in the car, my home patrol at home with discone and a few other uniden scanners. It sounds like a mix of plain ol lousy digital voice coupled with sporadic white noise. Maybe the deputy is hanging his mic out the window when transmitting while enjoying two large jaw-breaker candies and trying to talk???

I am only listening to analog traffic and I am wondering if they are simulcasting (analog & dig) and it is carrying the less than desirable audio quality from the digital side to the analog transmitter input.

Any ideas?

Vince - Palm Harbor
KI4VBR - EL88ob

... -.-

ngel

PCSO

SO is migrating over to P25 and have moved in their new dispatch center , however as you would expect that is a lot of units. So like with SPPD, they are still being simulcasted over analog and digital at this time. So when the units that have switched to digital are heard on analog it sounds horrible, just like if you were to listen to SPPD talkgroups on the analog site.

SO is migrating over to P25 and have moved in their new dispatch center , however as you would expect that is a lot of units. So like with SPPD, they are still being simulcasted over analog and digital at this time. So when the units that have switched to digital are heard on analog it sounds horrible, just like if you were to listen to SPPD talkgroups on the analog site.

I will back that up. If you want clear as day P25 from Patrol 1-5, listen to Site 10. Now site 10 is ONLY T/Gs that are TX/RX from the new complex consoles. In which case Bravo, ect T/Gs will not be heard.
My understanding is that Site 10 is a single (non simulcast) site located at the new complex, Which explains why it is clear as can be.

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
Thank you.

I will back that up. If you want clear as day P25 from Patrol 1-5, listen to Site 10. Now site 10 is ONLY T/Gs that are TX/RX from the new complex consoles. In which case Bravo, ect T/Gs will not be heard.
My understanding is that Site 10 is a single (non simulcast) site located at the new complex, Which explains why it is clear as can be.

Thanks to both of you who replied.....much appreciated.

Is the RR database up to date with these new changes? Does anyone have a "Free-Scan" file they could share?

How is the quality of the digital you are receiving? I dont get anywhere near useful quality and I am using a discone up a ways. Never had troubles with signal strength on my 396XT or HP.

Thanks much,
Vince

Thanks to both of you who replied.....much appreciated.

Is the RR database up to date with these new changes? Does anyone have a "Free-Scan" file they could share?

How is the quality of the digital you are receiving? I dont get anywhere near useful quality and I am using a discone up a ways. Never had troubles with signal strength on my 396XT or HP.

Thanks much,
Vince

I RX Site 10 clear as day, no audible errors or (underwater sounds) at all. I am 126th and 19/34th str area. Site 4 and 5, they are both there but (remember they ARE simulcast) so HA HA HA. No activity on Site 12 yet with is only HPD anyway. I am unable to RX Site 2 (North County) down here, however no activity shows up on trunker for 2 yet.

mitbr

I RX Site 10 clear as day, no audible errors or (underwater sounds) at all. I am 126th and 19/34th str area. Site 4 and 5, they are both there but (remember they ARE simulcast) so HA HA HA. No activity on Site 12 yet with is only HPD anyway. I am unable to RX Site 2 (North County) down here, however no activity shows up on trunker for 2 yet.

What is HPD?
Site 2 has sppd disp
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.