Kenwood TM-V71A Will not accept Splinter Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
It appears that my Kenwood TM-V71A will not allow me to input "splinter" frequencies. For example when I try to enter the following frequency, 159.0525, the software gives me the following message: "The Frequency has been rounded to the nearest appropriate Frequency." I am using the MCP-2A programming software. I have also tried adjusting the frequency step and every other setting I could think of that I thought might allow me to enter the frequency I wanted.

Any idea if this is an error in the programming software or the radio?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
It appears that my Kenwood TM-V71A will not allow me to input "splinter" frequencies. For example when I try to enter the following frequency, 159.0525, the software gives me the following message: "The Frequency has been rounded to the nearest appropriate Frequency." I am using the MCP-2A programming software. I have also tried adjusting the frequency step and every other setting I could think of that I thought might allow me to enter the frequency I wanted.

Any idea if this is an error in the programming software or the radio?
That's because the TM-V71A is an amateur radio and not designed to operate on splinter channels.

You will have to purchase a part 90 capable radio, such as the Alinco DR-638 or Powerwerx DB-750 to get a dual band analog radio capable of those synthesizer steps.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I figured that might be the case however the radio seems to handle some splinter frequencies just fine.

Thanks for the reply!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Supported tuning steps are 5,6.25,10,12.5, 20,25KHz and so on, according to the user manual.

The only Kenwood ham rigs that will tune in 2.5 steps are the TM-271A/TM-281A.

I am strongly considering getting an Alinco DR-638, they are the same price, and are certified for part 90, and do support both true narrowband IF and 2.5KHz splinter channels, crossband repeat, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.