Rocky Mountain National Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

av8or91

I was hiking in the park this weekend and noticed some of the park rangers using some very antiquated radios. Anyone have any information on what system they are operating on and also what kind of radios they are using?

Thanks!

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I was hiking in the park this weekend and noticed some of the park rangers using some very antiquated radios...what kind of radios they are using?

I haven't seen the radios in person, but my initial thoughts are that they are using a RELM BK (often noted as B/K or Bendix/King) Radio. They are generally pretty popular among anyone dealing with wildland interoperability communications and forest/parks operations. They may look old, but the newer ones can do P25 digital format such as the DPHX5102X (which appears to be what the Forest Service is moving towards, not sure for the NPS).

rfburns

I was hiking in the park this weekend and noticed some of the park rangers using some very antiquated radios.
Can you define very antiquated? Can anyone confirm that the new Relm BK's are being manufactured in China and are much less reliable?

kc0kp

Can you define very antiquated? Can anyone confirm that the new Relm BK's are being manufactured in China and are much less reliable?
The batch of DPH5102s I bought this summer were made in USA. Had to wait for the rig to get back from CA to confirm.

Status
Not open for further replies.