• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How do you, uh, "call CQ" on CB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF5YDR

Used to kind of look down my nose at CB, being a ham, but hey a radio is a radio and it's something I haven't tried.

But, being a ham, I don't know how to do anything without prowords and a callsign. Do people still use handles on CB? Do you just yell out whatever you have to say, or what?

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
On SSB, it's just like ham.. But with handles, or names..

On AM, just call the person you want to talk to.

WB4CS

On AM scream "Audiooooooooooooooooo!" as many times as possible. Be sure to key on top of people when they are talking. It would also be a good idea to brush up on as many variations of four letter curse words as possible. Don't forget to scream "Audioooooooooooooooo!"

On SSB, while you're calling CQ, take a moment to pause and realize that you're only about 1 MHz away from the Amateur 10 Meter band (that you're licensed to use) which will provide much better communications than 11 Meters. Then shut off the CB radio and start calling CQ on 10 Meters.

:)

SCPD

QRT
If I recall you say the channel like if your on 19, breaker 1-9 radio check come on, lol or you could buy a mic with mdc tone lol or other loud audio and like above for letter curse words or even saying hot showers at the exit 7 a I'm sure you'll get a response. Lol

SCPD

QRT
You could pass a rig and say you got your ears on "can't find interstate" when a cfi tractor trailer passes by lol jk

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
On AM scream "Audiooooooooooooooooo!" as many times as possible. Be sure to key on top of people when they are talking. It would also be a good idea to brush up on as many variations of four letter curse words as possible. Don't forget to scream "Audioooooooooooooooo!"

On SSB, while you're calling CQ, take a moment to pause and realize that you're only about 1 MHz away from the Amateur 10 Meter band (that you're licensed to use) which will provide much better communications than 11 Meters. Then shut off the CB radio and start calling CQ on 10 Meters.

:)

Hilarious but true. :D

KF5YDR...On CB, just ask for a break.and make your call, be courteous and you will find that cber's for the most part will be courteous, tho we have our share of those who are very inappropriate in their use of the radio. I have been an avid cb'er for over 35 years, and love it. My advice is to try it, and if you like it ...WELCOME. Just the responses from most of the Ham people keeps me away from becoming becoming licensed....

KF5YDR

Aw, I think WB4CS is just playin'. I definitely recommend getting your ham ticket, Tech is easy to study for and it opens up a whole world of possibilities beyond what CB does (like being able to communicate from inside a building). Sure, there are the old cranks who want to lecture you about how you didn't say CQ with the right inflection or how your license isn't "real" because you didn't have to learn Morse, but you can just ignore them.

It sounds like there's a big difference in operating AM vs SSB. Is that just because SSB rigs are more expensive and likely to be used by folks more interested in the hobby?

kd7mxi

cb handles and ssb club callsigns ,,, listen to the superbowl channel , 6 .... during skip ,,, some of the gear they use is ww2 surplus extreme high power radios , some the size of a fridge ,,, i was ssb-107z on the cb and have had a couple handles ,,, used to talk to preacher man in south america and tijuana taxi on the mexico border barefoot with no skip from tooele utah ,,, ant was on a lead pole sticking way up in the air with a triple ground rod setup of middle rod being longer then the ones on each side going out from trailor house ,.,, huge diamater coax , crossbow ant from radioshack .... cobra 148gtl ,,, had to show nabors how to put low pass filters on there tvs to reduce enterference from my bleedover

brake brake ,,, how about that preacher man? , you got it on down there? ,,, hows tha weather?

brake brake ,,, how about that tijuana taxi? , you got it on down there? ,,, got any customers?

Last edited:

kd7mxi

superbowl guys have another technique ... number from the big island of hawaii ,,, number from the minigrass , etc with standby and cq calling styles and jive talking ... plus the famous ,, audioooooooooooooh and loud wine and other noise on there signals

Last edited:

wtp

and don't forget

to tell the folks that you are in hawaii, mexico ,canada, south america, russia for all they care. you don't have a license so no rules.

Last edited:
This is only my second post here, and who knows if it will get by the moderators. But, here goes.

I've been off and on CB Radio since 1964. I've been an Amateur Radio Operator since 1982, and an "Extra" since 1983.

I've noticed this phenomenon in other CB Radio forums, as well as "prepper" forums and recreation vehicle forums where CB Radio is the topic. It seems that in all of these forums, two types of Amateur Radio Operators show up. One type I call the "Amateur Radio Evangelists" who feel it is their duty to save CB Radio Operators from themselves. The other type are those who simply want to trash CB Radio.

We all know the shortcomings of CB Radio, but many of us find ways to enjoy the legal aspects of the service. And, yes, some (or many) enjoy the not-so-legal aspects of CB Radio. There's nothing I can do about that, so I don't worry about it.

My question is this: why can't a CB Radio forum be a CB Radio forum? If certain Amateur Radio Operators don't like CB Radio, why and how do they make their way to forums titled "CB Radio Forum"? I'm not talking about just this thread, but several scattered about this forum.

Just asking.

Texas Old School

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
As Blade once said:

"Some mother****ers just gotta ice skate uphill."

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Good thing crappy band is next to dead. I really laugh when I here someone call "hey Dave you gotta copy on boot leggar"? Then hear everyone named Dave answer. If working skip doesn't everyone just say HEEELLLLLLLOOO, Anyone here the boot leggar?

MeddleMan

it's so easy...

...a child can do it. I just gave traffic info to one yesterday. Rolled up on an accident cleanup in York,Pa. Notified on the radio. Not thinking about the pickup that just passed me, but a young voice came on and asked, " What lane do we need to be in, Driver?" My poloite response was to be against the wall in the left lane. Cool how kids just want to get involved in anything.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
...a child can do it. I just gave traffic info to one yesterday. Rolled up on an accident cleanup in York,Pa. Notified on the radio. Not thinking about the pickup that just passed me, but a young voice came on and asked, " What lane do we need to be in, Driver?" My poloite response was to be against the wall in the left lane. Cool how kids just want to get involved in anything.

My first, but not last experience in two way radios happened when I was about 7 (wow, 40 years ago) when my dad put a mobile in the family car. My first transmission ever was asking for a 10-36 on channel 19. I've had radio in my life ever since.. All because some driver answered my call.. I'm now an Extra class ham who teaches classes every chance I get, and as soon as the job allows I will be wearing out my VE credentials at any test I can get to.

Never underestimate the power of simply answering a call on any radio.

(Mods, I apologize if we're straying too far off the original topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.