Delayed audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanner404

Feed Provider
I was listening to my scanner live during a fire call and for some reason I could hear the firefighters talking on my scanner before the audio hit their personal radios with about a 2 second delay. The fire dept was Lost Acres (33.94) which is not repeated as far as I know except for dispatch. I was just wondering why this would happen.

N1GTL

Database Admin
I'm not sure where Lost Acres is but if they are on low band, they may be running Pyramid type repeaters in their trucks to rebroadcast to UHF portables.

scanner404

Feed Provider
The 158.82 is only used as a fire ground frequency for the East Granby fire department which is also dispatched from Granby, however I don't believe it's a crosspatch since dispatch never transmits on it. Lost Acres (Granby Fire) will sometimes use the statewide fire frequency 33.78 as a back-up channel, but I was scanning that along with the 158.82 and didn't hear anything on those frequencies. If they did use a vehicle repeater in their trucks, wouldn't that use a separate transmit frequency? If so, I don't see that listed anywhere on RR.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The description sounds like a simplex repeater. This is basically a device that receives and records a transmission and then repeats it on the same frequency. In other words, a transmission from an HT could be received in a vehicle and then rebroadcast by the higher power radio in the vehicle. I'm not familiar with the location or the frequencies in use, but this sounds like a plausible explanation of what was heard. Such devices are much cheaper than vehicle extenders.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Almost positive the Granby (Lost Acres FD) low band frequency is a simplex system. I don't know who else you were monitoring, but I have never heard what you are describing. Scanner and pager traffic have always been matched the same.

I do hear some delay with Simsbury's base using 33.94 and their UHF repeater not in sync. Much less than 2 seconds but enough where you get an echo sound. It is the delay of sending the UHF signal to whatever repeater is selected.

chris

scanner404

Feed Provider
The description sounds like a simplex repeater. This is basically a device that receives and records a transmission and then repeats it on the same frequency. In other words, a transmission from an HT could be received in a vehicle and then rebroadcast by the higher power radio in the vehicle. I'm not familiar with the location or the frequencies in use, but this sounds like a plausible explanation of what was heard. Such devices are much cheaper than vehicle extenders.

Yes I'm thinking that it was a either simplex repeater or some kind of recording/playback device. The sound was coming from the fire truck I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.