Email from site not working on my domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Hello,

Had a question i wanted to run by the admins here. Almost exactly a year ago, email stopped coming from the site for notifications about PMs, feed down notices etc.

I host my own domain, all the servers for filtering, email even the firewall is in my datacenter. I thought maybe it was a filtering problem but I am not even seeing the inbound connections to my firewall, let alone the filtering appliance. Is there something on the system side that might not like my domain? I ended up changing my site email to a throwaway gmail address so I could at least get notification somehow.

Thanks for any input, feel free to PM me if you need info about my domain or config.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Adam,
I had the exact same problem with my personal domain that runs on a VPS. I would receive e-mails from the RR domain name, but no e-mails for PMs, Update Threads, nightly Forum Updates, or Broadcastify Alerts. Once I updated my records to show a GMAIL address instead of my own domain, things returned to normal.

The admin team was unable to figure out where or why the routing was failing, so it was agreed that leaving things at Gmail would just be the easiest route for myself and the admin team.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Hmm well that is unfortunate. It worked before just fine!

Oh well, thanks for the insight. I'll just leave it forwarding to GMail which then forwards back to my domain.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I now find I am having the same issue. I don't get notifications about PMs sent to me - this started just recently, though. I don't have my own domain as the OP does, and nothing shows up in my spam filters.

Wierd...Mike

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I now find I am having the same issue. I don't get notifications about PMs sent to me - this started just recently, though. I don't have my own domain as the OP does, and nothing shows up in my spam filters.

Wierd...Mike

Mike,

the problem is at some point you either accidently (or deliberately) reported one of the messages from the forums as SPAM. I've gone ahead and removed the drop.

If someone reports an email from us as SPAM to their ISP, then we immediately drop sending all emails to that address going forward.

See below:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 12.08.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 12.08.54 PM.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 58

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Furthermore, for many of you who choose to run your own email servers and domains - we see this problem all the time due to misconfigured email domains.

Email servers and software is notoriously complicated to setup, and even if your email domain server is misconfigured for a few minutes, if we send you a message and it bounces for some weird strange reason, in some cases our email delivery system will not try again to send messages.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Mike,

the problem is at some point you either accidently (or deliberately) reported one of the messages from the forums as SPAM. I've gone ahead and removed the drop.

If someone reports an email from us as SPAM to their ISP, then we immediately drop sending all emails to that address going forward.

See below:

I don't remember doing it, but as long as it's fixed - thanks Lindsay...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.