Boyero site outage caused by OIT not paying power bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

dw2872

The Boyero site out near Hugo had an outage on August 6th because the state failed to pay the power bill.

Http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=8152

KUSA—A radio tower used by emergency responders in rural Colorado lost power on August 6 because state officials failed to pay the electric bill for the facility.The Governor's Office of Information Technology, which maintains the radio tower, told 9NEWS on Wednesday that it sent a technician to the site and power was restored "within minutes" using emergency backup generators.The tower is located in a remote area, a 13-mile drive down dirt roads outside the town of Hugo.

Full 9news article here:

Unpaid bill causes power outage for emergency radio tower

Last edited:

Steve2003

They would have been up **** creek if the generators were powered by natural gas and gas & power were on the same bill. Let's just hope they pay the bill on time for whatever company supplies the gas.

Not intending to start a political thread, but didn't the state just implement new accounting software that was designed by the same folks who built the Obama Care site?

Harry, did you remember to pay the gas bill?
image.jpg

dw2872

But I wonder why they had to make a trip to get the generators going. I thought that was automatic.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
But I wonder why they had to make a trip to get the generators going. I thought that was automatic.

Seems like there was a little miscommunication regarding the details of what happened with the site. Apparently OIT revised their initial statement the following day saying that the generators kicked on immediately after the power was cut.

"On Thursday, the agency said it confirmed that radio service at the site was not interrupted at all because the generators switched on immediately after the power was shut off." - KUSA

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
How many gallons of fuel do the repeater generators hold? Actually, what kind of generator do they use?

It is really depends on a site to site basis. From what I can tell, a majority of sites built by Motorola will include either a 50 kW liquid propane or 50 kW diesel engine with a 1,000 gallon tank for fuel. I don't know which one the Boyero site would be using.

Status
Not open for further replies.