Mobile Scanner Antenna Recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circa

I want to get a better antenna for use in the car with the option to remove it and use the antenna in other locations.

My Scanner does 25MHz to 1.3GHz but I really only need 25MHz to 512MHz.
(AM: CB and Air too)

RadioShack sells Magnet-mount mobile scanner antenna Model: 20-032 but I would like to see if there is a better (and cheaper) option, possibly online(Amazon?)

I'm currently using the Uniden Rubber Duck antenna that came with the scanner.

It also needs to have a BNC connector.

Does anyone have any recommendation for a Mobile Wideband Scanner Antenna?

Last edited:

DocCLB

I have an old 20-032 that I've modified a little, and receive the local stuff quite well with it.

However, when I have the Homepatrol in the Jeep, I ordered one of these with the package:
SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with Mag Mount and BNC

It seems to do better around where I live on VHF than the trunked or P25 stuff (unless I'm within a few miles of a repeater), but with regards to either...I have zero complaints. The magnet is incredibly strong for the size it is. Very low profile, and on the top of the vehicle, you barely notice it unless you're less than 10 feet away.

94caprice9c1

I have an old 20-032 that I've modified a little, and receive the local stuff quite well with it.

However, when I have the Homepatrol in the Jeep, I ordered one of these with the package:

It seems to do better around where I live on VHF than the trunked or P25 stuff (unless I'm within a few miles of a repeater), but with regards to either...I have zero complaints. The magnet is incredibly strong for the size it is. Very low profile, and on the top of the vehicle, you barely notice it unless you're less than 10 feet away.

I agree completely! When I travel for business I am required to rent a car. In the past, I have used the rubber duck that came with the scanner, the results were not good. I purchased the Sectrumforce and it is great! Affordable excellent results. Excellent option.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
A simple vhf 1/4 wave antennna has always worked well for me for the frequency range you are interested in. Are you looking for an antenna with a magnet mount? Here is an EBay link for one (I didn't really shop around- might be cheaper prices) with a mag mount. VHF NMO Antenna 1 4WAVE w Magnet Mount Mini UHF for Mobile Base Radios Motorola | eBay The frequency range says: "152-162 mhz", but that is for transmitting. It will receive outside this range rather well.
-
Or you could get only the 1/4 wave antenna and select another mount- like an "L" bracket for a fender or a trunk lip mount and still use the same antenna, if that interests you. And, if you do a search for nmo antennas, you will have many choices for antennas and mounts.

Circa

This one looks good and totals $28 with shipping (Priority Mail!!!).
I think that's the one I'm going to get.
Thank you for the recommendation!

It says "Covers 25-1300 MHz" but I am new to radio stuff so I have to ask...

Will this pickup AM stuff like CB (27MHz) and Aircraft?

And are there any ScannerMaster coupon codes?

teufler

I've seen it at $19.95, it picks up cb and aircraft, but it will depend on how sensitive your scanner is.
Scanner Antennas
Its not as good as my Austin Spectre antenna but at less than 1/10th the cost, I am not complaining.

DocCLB

This one looks good and totals $28 with shipping (Priority Mail!!!).
I think that's the one I'm going to get.
Thank you for the recommendation!

It says "Covers 25-1300 MHz" but I am new to radio stuff so I have to ask...

Will this pickup AM stuff like CB (27MHz) and Aircraft?

And are there any ScannerMaster coupon codes?

I don't think there's any coupon codes, but "Google" is your friend. Search away haha.

I have this antenna mag mounted to an aftermarket roof rack system on a Jeep Wrangler (rear driver's side). The manufacturer kindly thought of guys like me, and left quite many low profile spaces where an antenna could be mounted, and the cable is actually routed through the rails of the rack supports.

I have to *CLEARLY* state: If you really want to monitor CB...go buy a CB and a CB antenna. Hook the CB to the CB antenna....and ratchet-jaw / listen away.

Air band with this antenna: I played around with the HP and this antenna on our chow break one weekend at drill a few months ago. I can honestly say I sat there listening to this set of frequencies: Military Aviation (MILAIR) NC Non-County Specific Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference quite clearly. I didn't have a chance to write down any callsigns, but it worked better than I expected, and all the traffic was clear. I can also hear everything going on at KCHS (Charleston International) with the exception of ATIS, unless I'm within line of sight, or very close to the transmitter.

I have to make this drive to Florence SC once or twice a month, and I can tell you from experience that I can hear Florence County and Florence City traffic from the Williamsburg / Berkeley County line on Hwy 52 using this antenna (maybe 30-40 miles) Sometimes it has a lot of static, and from this distance it's never full quieted the squelch, but traffic has generally been readable.

Just remember, being new to radio and such...There is no "magic touch" that's going to force "X" make "Y" work. Having a 25-1300 MHz antenna doesn't mean that every frequency in that advertised range is going to blow the speakers out of your radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.