New Polk County 700MHz P25 Phase 2 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
This will be the thread where any new information on the Polk County P25 system will be posted.

Control channel has been active for a few days on 769.29375MHz. Right now it's only transmitting from the Windsor Heights tower they built last month, but the license was granted on 8/12/2014 to expand this to a 5-site simulcast system.

Current focus is to get the Windsor Heights site on the air and operational ASAP to fill coverage gaps in the EDACS network, completion of that phase should be in the very near future (2 weeks?)

System Information:
Callsign: WQUL873
WACN: 9249A
SYSID: 06A
Freqs:

I have not observed any traffic on this system but current designators have it as a Phase 1 system, but Phase 2 is to be implemented by end of year. More information to come.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Unfortunately, no. I believe only the latest models will support Phase 2. Being simulcast on top of it will make decoding with a scanner that much more difficult.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Windsor Heights site is now active.

As of yesterday afternoon, a handful of the EDACS talkgroups for Polk Co were being patched into the P25 system. The GIDs show up exactly the same but have no source ID, so the patch is on the backend at the switch. 1801 for Law 1, 1892 for Law 2 etc.

Only affiliations i've caught so far have been tech radios. Right now its just a standard C4FM site so if your scanner can do the 6.25KHz splits on 700MHz you can listen in.

Des Moines PD

This will be the thread where any new information on the Polk County P25 system will be posted.

Control channel has been active for a few days on 769.29375MHz. Right now it's only transmitting from the Windsor Heights tower they built last month, but the license was granted on 8/12/2014 to expand this to a 5-site simulcast system.

Current focus is to get the Windsor Heights site on the air and operational ASAP to fill coverage gaps in the EDACS network, completion of that phase should be in the very near future (2 weeks?)

System Information:
Freqs:

I have not observed any traffic on this system but current designators have it as a Phase 1 system, but Phase 2 is to be implemented by end of year. More information to come.

My familily has a friend that is moving tommorow to Des Moines and I wanted to monitor them on the UHF but I wanted to ask you are they going to this new system or stay on UHF. If you can help me out Adam and thank you.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
DMPD has been and probably always will be on their UHF analog system. Nothing changing for them.

flhays

Premium Subscriber
Article in the paper with the DMPD Chief retiring states something about a joint Comm center with Polk SO, I admit several years away. Is this a new system that the DMPD could jump into?

IowaGuy1603

Article in the paper with the DMPD Chief retiring states something about a joint Comm center with Polk SO, I admit several years away. Is this a new system that the DMPD could jump into?

The Phase II system is NOT what Polk County currently uses----It MIGHT replace the current system at some point in time.

DMPD MIGHT join in but I highly doubt it in my lifetime------------

As stated above, DMPD has always "danced to a different drummer" and I highly doubt that a Joint Communications center will happen anytime soon-------politics comes into play here.

Just like in the Cedar Rapids area----the City/County/ Marion PD & Fires all went to a combined radio system.............But there are 3 Comm Centers (Linn Co, Cedar Rapids, Marion)

bar422

DMPD MIGHT join in but I highly doubt it in my lifetime------------

As stated above, DMPD has always "danced to a different drummer" and I highly doubt that a Joint Communications center will happen anytime soon-------politics comes into play here.

Very true.......

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
As of right now this system is still running Phase 1, but according to their own documentation they will be transitioning the new system (CIRPSCS) to simulcast this year and then 3 rural 800MHz sites Q2 next year. Phase 2 will be implemented sometime between now and then. There is no mention of DMPD anywhere in the documents i've seen. But they are calling it the Central Iowa Regional Public Safety Communications System so who knows.

Nothing really new to report yet, the Windsor Heights 700 site is still operating patched into EDACS, only a handful of groups are being patched. Law 2, Info, Fire Dispatch and Fire Response at this point. I saw the Windsor Heights PD chat group on there once but not recently.

IowaGuy1603

As of right now this system is still running Phase 1, but according to their own documentation they will be transitioning the new system (CIRPSCS) to simulcast this year and then 3 rural 800MHz sites Q2 next year. Phase 2 will be implemented sometime between now and then. There is no mention of DMPD anywhere in the documents i've seen. But they are calling it the Central Iowa Regional Public Safety Communications System so who knows.

Nothing really new to report yet, the Windsor Heights 700 site is still operating patched into EDACS, only a handful of groups are being patched. Law 2, Info, Fire Dispatch and Fire Response at this point. I saw the Windsor Heights PD chat group on there once but not recently.

It will eventually replace the Racom system statewide ------if Racom has anything to say about it------

But again................there is so much politics involved in agencies joining a "joint system" that I will bet my 38 yrs in the business that they won't get much more joining in than they have now....

But that is my opinion only

IowaGuy1603

Per Racom's Facebook page

It’s official – Iowa’s 1st P25, 700 MHz trunked LMR site is now live in Windsor Heights. Congratulations to the City’s Police & Fire Departments for being the first public safety agencies on the new site.

System Information:
Freqs:

Windsor Heights site is now active.

As of yesterday afternoon, a handful of the EDACS talkgroups for Polk Co were being patched into the P25 system. The GIDs show up exactly the same but have no source ID, so the patch is on the backend at the switch. 1801 for Law 1, 1892 for Law 2 etc.

Only affiliations i've caught so far have been tech radios. Right now its just a standard C4FM site so if your scanner can do the 6.25KHz splits on 700MHz you can listen in.

Adam I wanted to ask if you submitted any of the confirmed info yet for the database.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
No I haven't yet. If someone feels ambitious they can but this system is going to be volatile for a bit I think as they move to simulcast and add more users. I'm sure there will be some re-grouping as well. The 8 frequencies and WACN/SYSID are unlikely to change so that can be safely added.

No I haven't yet. If someone feels ambitious they can but this system is going to be volatile for a bit I think as they move to simulcast and add more users. I'm sure there will be some re-grouping as well. The 8 frequencies and WACN/SYSID are unlikely to change so that can be safely added.

Ok I was wondering if you did. I guess it can wait until there is more info and talkgroups to submitt.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Still waiting to see when the new system goes operational. It is still only operating off of the Windsor Heights site at the moment. The last information I heard was at the end of last year and that indicated a 'phase 1' of the cutover to be implemented by the end of March. Time will tell if that actually happens or not. As of right now nothing has changed but this project is still moving forward!

Status
Not open for further replies.