No new Icom Recievers in the plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
I attended the Huntsville, Alabama Ham Fest last weekend and talked to Ray Novak the Icom Rep. I asked him if there were any plans to build any new Icom Recievers only. He said no. The scanner market is shrinking fast. I should have asked to him to come over here it is alive and well. I was hoping they would add a new scanner with DStar added.

dkf435

The R2500/PCR2500 has DSTAR receive when the UT-118 is added.

If you want to do it portable get a IC91AD or IC92AD and listen to DSTAR on 1 VFO and FM on the other at the same time.

David Kb7uns

Boatanchor

I doubt that ICOM ever broke even from any of their receiver products let alone produced a profit. It costs millions to develop a new receiver, then hundreds of thousands to provide ongoing product support for the life of the product. They were probably so burnt from producing $2000 - $10,000 receivers that only sold a few hundred units globally, that they swore they would never make another. The domestic global market for high end receivers is minuscule. Even military / Government purchasers are moving away from the traditional hardware receiver and using SDR boxes instead. If ICOM wants to stay in the receiver market, they will have to embrace SDR too.

SCPD

QRT
icom

I attended the Huntsville, Alabama Ham Fest last weekend and talked to Ray Novak the Icom Rep. I asked him if there were any plans to build any new Icom Recievers only. He said no. The scanner market is shrinking fast. I should have asked to him to come over here it is alive and well. I was hoping they would add a new scanner with DStar added.

What he meant was Icom doesnt sell any scanners or receivers because they dont have P25 or any abilities the Uniden's do.Heck every portable Icom comes with a 100 milliwatt audio amp,you cant even hear it,if you are above 45 years old,they forget men age.They need to do some serious revamping if Icom tends to sell a scanner or receiver.Everything is Digital.So they need to implement digial formats like turbo and dstar to their radios.If they came out with a fast scanning,Loud,P25 capable scanner with wide range receive they'd have a winner,but they choose not to.
I still have my BR-330T ,its a scanner and shortwave radio,its made by uniden,this was a neat idea.....

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Icom is still one of my all-time favorites. It would be great to see another small receiver, perhaps a follow-up to the R6. Doesn't sound like it's going to happen, but here's to wishful thinking! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.