what are some good airbrand (108-137mhz) antennans

Status
Not open for further replies.

CYWG_spotter

hey guys,

I was just wondering if their are some good antennas for listing to ATC with, I read on a form somewhere about the Maldol AL-500H being a good antenna, but that tread was posted back in 2006 and the antenna is now discontinued.

I've been looking around for other air band antennas, for a while and I haven't been able to find any.

I also bought a diamond RH77-CA to try out

-I have the bc125at and it has a BNC connector so I need a radio with a BNC connector.

-I'd prefer a mobile handheld or car antenna if possible.

-I need an air band (108-137mhz) antenna

Thank you, and I don't use forums that often so sorry if I do anything wrong

kma371

QRT
I like the discone for VHF airband. I can get ATIS/AWOS from airports over 50 miles away pretty consistently

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I like the discone for VHF airband. I can get ATIS/AWOS from airports over 50 miles away pretty consistently

I have YET to find an antenna that works better for aircraft than a good solid discone. The upward radiating pattern is perfect for aircraft communications monitoring. I like the Diamond D130J personally!

Manny

KF6DGN

Just got a BC125 with the W-901 Airband Portable Antenna and it seems to work very well. I picked up ATIS 267.6 for KNFG Camp Pendleton MCAS (Munn Field) Airport which is 5.8 miles from my QTH. There are even some hills between us. None of my other HT's can bring it up.

prcguy

Most scanner Discones like the DJ130 and Radio Shack have a slight downward pattern at the horizon in the VHF air band. They start having an upward pattern somewhere above 500MHz which is why their not so good at 800MHz.

You really don't want an upward pattern for an airband antenna and instead its best at the horizon for picking up distant aircraft as the line of sight path dips below trees, houses, etc on its way past the horizon. When aircraft are at high angles overhead they are so close line of sight and in the clear you can pick them up with a paper clip antenna, so its best not to waste gain pointing upwards.
prcguy

I have YET to find an antenna that works better for aircraft than a good solid discone. The upward radiating pattern is perfect for aircraft communications monitoring. I like the Diamond D130J personally!

Manny

joeuser

The Wretched
Interesting. I wish I could have special antennas for the gain in specific ranges but its not practical for me. Discone wide range covers my varied listening. I do have a specialized 800 range antenna but in reality it was converted over from a cordless phone system by enGenius. That sucker pulls the 800 like crazy!

Discone. Many aviation authorities use them at transmitter sites as well. A nice advantage is that, if you want to scan other than airband, it's still a great antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.