• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What to buy to program an HT1250

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stringer619

News Photojournalist
I have a Motorola HT1250 in the mail and have applied for the Motorola CPS software.

What items do I need to buy to be able to program my HT1250 with my PC (I have an XP laptop, XP netbook, Vista desktop and Vista laptop)?

I believe that I need RKN4075A, but it is the old serial interface. I understand many Motorola's use RSS and RIB boxes, but since the HT1250 uses CPS, is there a USB cable out there that will do what I need?

If I have the radio, software and a PC, what else do I need to get going. If you could supply model numbers that would be a tremendous help.

I've found this cable but am wary since it's aftermarket. I have no problem paying more for OEM Motorola if they make such a cable.

Stringer619

News Photojournalist
Is anything else required and does Motorola make such a (usb) cable? I can't seem to find one via Google.

Also, would the cable I linked above work for firmware upgrades as well or do I need the whole RSS/RIB stuff? I've read (or misunderstood) conflicting information in my research.

Also came across this cable (Polaris), which seems to be spoken highly of.

Last edited:

m-gerty

Either of the cables you show should work. The expensive part is the software which is only legally available from Motorola. I do not know the part number offhand, but you'll have to contact Motorola and set up an account and buy direct from them. The price should be $200 - $300.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I have a Motorola HT1250 in the mail and have applied for the Motorola CPS software.

What items do I need to buy to be able to program my HT1250 with my PC (I have an XP laptop, XP netbook, Vista desktop and Vista laptop)?

I believe that I need RKN4075A, but it is the old serial interface. I understand many Motorola's use RSS and RIB boxes, but since the HT1250 uses CPS, is there a USB cable out there that will do what I need?

If I have the radio, software and a PC, what else do I need to get going. If you could supply model numbers that would be a tremendous help.

I've found this cable but am wary since it's aftermarket. I have no problem paying more for OEM Motorola if they make such a cable.
The software is HVN9025 Professional Series CPS.

Any of the cables you reference should work fine. If your computer has a serial port, the AARKN4081B Ribless Programming Cable might be your best bet. I have that plus several of the aftermarket USB cables. The serial cable has never failed me, but one of the USB cables is iffy and will probably go in the trash soon.

Last I knew, the CPS was $265 from Motorola. There is a very steep learning curve to using this particular CPS well. If you only want to have this single radio programmed once or twice, you may be better off having a shop do it for around $30 to $50 each time.

YMMV.

Stringer619

News Photojournalist
Thank you both for your replies. I expect CPS to have a learning curve, but believe that my experience with programming Uniden and Radio Shack/GRE scanners (I have 15 scanners) over the last 4 years will accelerate me ahead of most people who have no experience at all. Would you agree or is CPS really that much different? I like to think that I know more about my local systems than most, but I'm by no means a system operator.

I have no problem buying the software, regardless of price or learning it. My only concern is what hardware I need. I believe I have an old Windows XP laptop that has a serial port and may use that, but using a USB cable would be much more convenient. I believe the CPS comes with the serial cable if you buy the bundle ($17 more I think)?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
HT 1250

I have had very good luck with the Kawall USB cables found on eBay. I use them on My EF Johnson and Motorola radios.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
Thank you both for your replies. I expect CPS to have a learning curve, but believe that my experience with programming Uniden and Radio Shack/GRE scanners (I have 15 scanners) over the last 4 years will accelerate me ahead of most people who have no experience at all. Would you agree or is CPS really that much different? I like to think that I know more about my local systems than most, but I'm by no means a system operator.

I have no problem buying the software, regardless of price or learning it. My only concern is what hardware I need. I believe I have an old Windows XP laptop that has a serial port and may use that, but using a USB cable would be much more convenient. I believe the CPS comes with the serial cable if you buy the bundle ($17 more I think)?
Programming radios that transmit is much different than programming receive only scanners. There are parameters you've never heard of and a whole bunch of legalities to be considered. One wrong item and you may cause dangerous interference.

I am unaware of a CPS/cable bundle from Motorola. No one else is allowed to sell their CPS, not even their dealers so if you are seeing a bundle offered by anyone other than MOL, it is illegal. There is no bundle listed on MOL. The CPS is $299. (The reflashing tool mentioned in the description is a software program, not a cable or adapter.

A correction to my previous post: The AARKN4081B is for the CDM mobiles in the Professional Series, not the portables. The correct RIBless cable for the HT portables is RKN4075C, currently priced at $280.

Stringer619

News Photojournalist
Thanks for the info SteveC0625. I had read on here about CPS including the cable, so certainly not official info. That makes sense that the software is just the software.

So if I am understanding this, Motorola makes a RIB and a RIBless version of the programming cable, and BOTH are serial interface. In other words, Motorola does NOT make a USB RIBless programming cable for the HT1250. If the $280 price tag was for USB, I'd do it, but I will try a Kawall / Wisecomm / Polaris USB programming cable first as they're much cheaper and offer the USB connectivity. It seems enough people vouch for them.

I guess my only other question at this time is still, do firmware upgrades require a different cable than one used for programming?

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
I guess my only other question at this time is still, do firmware upgrades require a different cable than one used for programming?
Do some searching here and over on the batboard. If I understand what is in my personal notes, you have to use the full blown Motorola RIB programming cable plus an adapter for flashing.

FWIW, unlike the Astro Spectras and other newer /\/\ radios, the Pro Series doesn't seem to require firmware upgrade flashing nearly as much. And, unlike simple codeplug programming, one wrong move in flashing and you have an expensive doorstop.

Frankly, I leave flashing to the motorola shops. It's unlikely that you'd need to have have any one radio upgraded more than once in the life of the product. Given the extra expense and the risk, I'll let the shop do it, and then only if absolutely needed. Most of my clients have no need for firmware upgrades so it's something I don't deal with very much.

Stringer619

News Photojournalist
I guess that makes sense about the firmware. I have a local Ham Radio Outlet that I could ask I suppose if I were to be severely outdated. I think I understand now what I need and it seems easier than I had expected (I say this before launching CPS). Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.