• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

nx-800k firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

sraider

What is the latest firmware for these radios? I'm on 3.2. I use analog and digital channels but no trunking. If there is a newer firmware out should I update?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Latest and greatest is v4.72. Should you update? Well if there are no problems or you're not missing any whiz bang features, I'd just let 'er be.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No, not that I have seen.

We purchased all our NX radios (about 350) with older firmware. Before we rolled them out, I updated them all to 2.83, and that audio has been fine. Occasionally I'll update one of the radios (most recently to 4.50) but haven't seen any changes to the audio.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
There was a change (and I cannot tell you what version it happened at) where they added more audio tweakers to the programming software. In KPG-111D if you go to NXDN>GENERAL 2 and under audio you can select Function Type as either enhanced or standard, then you have the latest and greatest as far as audio control for the radio (NXDN only, not for analog).

If you are wondering what the latest firmware gives you, here's a bulletin that has the info.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2991846/P-13-08LM_NEXEDGE_Version_4.0.pdf

Chances are it really doesn't pertain to what you use the radio for, or maybe so?

sraider

audio

I have that option for audio, so I'm good to go. In the release notes they talk about Kenwood tools, can I get access by contacting Kenwood or do I have to be a dealer?

There was a change (and I cannot tell you what version it happened at) where they added more audio tweakers to the programming software. In KPG-111D if you go to NXDN>GENERAL 2 and under audio you can select Function Type as either enhanced or standard, then you have the latest and greatest as far as audio control for the radio (NXDN only, not for analog).

If you are wondering what the latest firmware gives you, here's a bulletin that has the info.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2991846/P-13-08LM_NEXEDGE_Version_4.0.pdf

Chances are it really doesn't pertain to what you use the radio for, or maybe so?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have that option for audio, so I'm good to go. In the release notes they talk about Kenwood tools, can I get access by contacting Kenwood or do I have to be a dealer?

You have to be a dealer, manufacturer rep, or similar. As far as I know, "average Joe's" don't get access. There is a lot of pricing, software downloads, documentation and the like that on there that isn't intended for the general public.

CommJunkie

Kenwood noob here.

1. I have firmware v2.84.00 I see it's not necessary to update, but if I do, what's the version that requires narrowbanded entries? (I'm on T-Band so that would be something I don't want)

2. Can I upgrade from v2.84.00 directly to v4.xx.xx, or do I need to upgrade incrementally?

3. Am I correct in assuming most of the actual features in the updated firmwares from what I have are for Nexedge trunking systems? (Something I don't use - NXDN conventional only)

EDIT: I'm also on a NX-300 portable. I think the 300 and 800 are identical in software/firmware, right?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Kenwood noob here.

1. I have firmware v2.84.00 I see it's not necessary to update, but if I do, what's the version that requires narrowbanded entries? (I'm on T-Band so that would be something I don't want)

I don't know. I know I was running 2.83 and the next jump I made was to 3.something, don't recall. You should be OK either way.

2. Can I upgrade from v2.84.00 directly to v4.xx.xx, or do I need to upgrade incrementally?

yep, you can jump straight to v4. I just did a bunch of 2.83 radios straight to 4.40.

3. Am I correct in assuming most of the actual features in the updated firmwares from what I have are for Nexedge trunking systems? (Something I don't use - NXDN conventional only)

Most of the 4.0 upgrades were related to NexEdge trunking. A few non trunking related functions were added:
Universal Connector Speaker Microphone Switch & +5V Output
Maximum Volume Limit
Preamble Length Extension for NXDN conventional

EDIT: I'm also on a NX-300 portable. I think the 300 and 800 are identical in software/firmware, right?

Yes, same software, same firmware for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.