What the HP said about two-way radio . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyrboy

. . . as reported in the April 11, 1939 Asheville "Citizen." Don't know what the figure is in the next-to-last paragraph.

Attachments

• 4-11-1939, 2-way radios too expensive, Asheville Times, Page 60001.jpg
    4-11-1939, 2-way radios too expensive, Asheville Times, Page 60001.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 685

mancow

Database Admin
Are they actually talking about using cw and not voice? That's crazy. I never knew that was used in a mobile environment. I figured these systems started out as voice.

n4yek

Are they actually talking about using cw and not voice? That's crazy. I never knew that was used in a mobile environment....

I actually used to chat with a ham radio operator that operated cw while driving when he was on the hf bands.
With the exception of 2 meters and AM communications on hf, all his contacts were Morse code.
The cw speed he was listening to was mind boggling. He told me he heard words, not individual letters while he listened.

mancow

Database Admin
I actually used to chat with a ham radio operator that operated cw while driving when he was on the hf bands.
With the exception of 2 meters and AM communications on hf, all his contacts were Morse code.
The cw speed he was listening to was mind boggling. He told me he heard words, not individual letters while he listened.

That's amazing.

WQPW689

zz0468

QRT
Banned
That's amazing.

Not so amazing. I frequently do CW mobile. I copy in my head and use a kneeboard to write call signs and names for the log book later. The keyer sits on the center console.

spacellamaman

a few years back a guy i used to work with who was in his forties i think, told me about when he was growing up as a kid in eastern NC his dad had a set up for CW in his car and as they would go tootling along down the country roads, there his dad would be just tippitty tapping and reacting to the same sounds he heard back as if he was talking to someone in a foreign language that my buddy couldnt understand. must have been fairly common cause his dad wasn't a cop or anything other than a ham if i remember right. crazy to imagine. simpler than trying to text message someone with a touch screen if you think about it tho.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
got a pic of your setup?

No. It's not impressive enough that I've been compelled to take a picture. It's an FT-857 on a Lido mount. The keyer isn't permanently mounted. I just set it on the center console when I want to do CW.

Status
Not open for further replies.