• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Technical Question: Why are CB radios always off frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Seems like a lot of CB'ers that I see on the SDR are always 450hz, 300hz, 150hz off frequency. Are the radios *that* bad or are some users just using older radios?

Do the newest radios have provisions for calibration?

KI4RDO

Silent Key
Have you adjusted the frequency correction on your SDR? Might want to check that first

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

fuzzybr

off freq

I think what you may be seeing is ,on ssb cb radios the upper and lower portion is 1.5 from center freq. such as 27.405 am 27.4065 upper and 27.4035 lower .

SCPD

QRT
I think what you may be seeing is ,on ssb cb radios the upper and lower portion is 1.5 from center freq. such as 27.405 am 27.4065 upper and 27.4035 lower .

Okay that's good to know. Actually, I was referring to just the standard AM channels... just seems like a re-occurring theme that most CB'ers are off frequency.

In fact, most of the SSB users are generally on-frequency.

PS. You can hear these guys right now on 27.025 (well, +/- 1000hz)

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Import radios, or radios with tied clarifiers.. Without a freq counter, it would be hard for them to tell unless they were way off.

majoco

Stirrer
Perhaps the older AM rigs are off-frequency due to the master PLL crystal ageing. 450Hz in 27MHz is not unreasonable after say ten years and no-one would notice any loss in signal. Some early PLL synthesizers used strange algorithms to generate the required frequency which always were 'slightly' off! How many CB'ers actually have the test gear to diagnose anyway?

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
You are talking about an error of less than 2 parts per million. My Yaesu FT-817 is 4ppm without a TXCO. Two ppm for a CB radio is not bad. What to you want WWV?

Dawn

K06jw and majoco beat me to the post while I was typing this.

Look at your numbers. CB radio last time I checked was spec'd at within +/- .005% of the assigned channel carrier freqeuency. If you're getting those numbers, those are well within spec.

Keep something else in mind. Many old radios out there and crystals drift with age. Most AM sets of 23 channel days had no means of trimming the synthesizer mixing crystals unless they were high end. Most sideband units did. Later 40 channel PLL units have only the chip reference and a mixer rock for AM only sets. Less probable of those units being off all over the place, but off in the same direction. Given that a bulk of the radios out there are 40 channel sets around 20+ years old with no maintainance, your observations are quite conservative.

Your SDR probably has a high accuracy TCXO in it and can maintain very high stability with all conversions at rf locked to the reference.

Add the effects of a hot vehicle in summer sun or the cold of the winter on unheated, unovend, or TCXO crystals or reference/mixer crystals in the transmitter, you have a recipe for a lot of slop one way or the other.

Also take into account that many of these radios are tampered with, especially the clarifier on SSB sets that provides almost a complete channel to channel slide that's relatively unstable by comparison to the original design and that virtually no cber will take a radio in for periodic frequency checks, numbers like that are quite justified. CB was designed to be a compatively inexpensive communications medium unlike land mobile with relatively lax specifications. 450hz is about half the required minimum spec. Considering the variables involved, that's not too bad for a channelized medium with 10kc spacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.