Open Sky Equipment - Practically for free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommahawk

I was told about a month ago that the Lancaster City Police Department has literally a closet full of Open Sky radio equipment it is trying to get rid of. They are trying to sell the radios (Brand New, never out of the box) at only $40.00 per radio to try to recoup some of their costs.

I don't know if anyone on here is interested, but you can contact them if you are interested.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
They're doorstops. Nobody can do anything with them unless you are an authorized user of the state system (or Cumberland Co system). You can't program them just to listen like you can with old Motorola gear on a Smartzone system.

Also, since the Lancaster system was planned years ago, I'm going to guess these are older models (i.e. M803 mobiles or portables from the same timeframe). None of that equipment is likely supported by Harris now. Even the current P7100 series portables in use have a limited service life left.

Can you find out what they are? I'd be curious to know to look up what other modes they can support.

chankel

Premium Subscriber
The other issue is cost, availability, and compatibility of the programming software and hardware. As a point of comparison, the USB programming cable for a Harris Unity is $170 and the software (shipped from the manufacturer) is between $495-995 depending on trunked or non-trunked.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Put them on t/a channels and got yourself some cheap hunting radios!

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
Correct me if I am wrong but there is no license free 800 mhz channels do do what n3obl suggested?

Status
Not open for further replies.