Pro 97 lockout problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hah1965

I am new to scanning and have done something unknowingly. I've tried to follow the manual without success. Please help...my screen reads as follows:

0123456789 pri--
+++++++++
all channels
locked out!

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
2 Possible Issues:

-If you havent programmed any channels into memory yet, you can't scan until you have at least one channel programmed.

-The channels you have programmed are locked out.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Hmmmm.... The only thing I can think of is that the channels you have programmed are locked out, so unlock them according to the manual.

Hope This Helps, :)

AND CHECK YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGES!!! :)

Last edited:

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
The pro -97 will only display all channels locked out if all banks are empty or locked out, so that fact given and if you belive that you have it programed then hit the MAN button on it and see what you have programed and keep hitting it from 1 to 1000 if it displays LO+ then that channel is locked out, if it displays lo+ then it, is not locked out. Now that said you have a great scanner and you or someone has has paid good money for it, so get win-97 it is free for 30 days and buy the cable to hook it up to your PC, I belive you will find that it is money well spet and a lot of time saved programing your 97, you will need to donate $5.00 here and you can do the web inport thing, I dont work for this web site or the other links that i will post here, i am just a person that owns the pro-97 and a lot more of them, I have about 4 scanners running all of the time.

cable
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102526
software
http://www.starrsoft.com/software/win97/default.asp

Last edited:

scnnr

Yes, I would l say you have programmed it with the LO on the channels. On this scanner to be unlocked you must have the LO in lower case lo. Try as previously suggested and put your scanner in manual mode. When you are sitting on programmed channels make sure your display shows like this on the 2nd line.

pri att dly lo -

Randy

RSplash40

I've had that happen several times when using win97, I get a incorrect model message when downloading and then All channels Locked. when it happens, all my programmed channels are gone.

I generally have to try the upload 3-4 times and on occasion I have to reboot the pc and the 97 to get it to go.

hah1965

pro-97

very new to this i have downloaded win 97 from this site.. what i am trying to figure out what are dispatchers talk around, also i amrunning into trouble with the fleet maps and the trunk. i guess i am to dumb to figure it out please advise

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
hah1965 said:
very new to this i have downloaded win 97 from this site.. what i am trying to figure out what are dispatchers talk around, also i amrunning into trouble with the fleet maps and the trunk. i guess i am to dumb to figure it out please advise[
Sorry not sure what it is that you are asking, you use the web inport thing with win97 with your pro-97 ??????????

Last edited:

sheddybong

Ditto!

I have exactly the same problem, only I know why. Soon after I bought the scanner, I was fiddling around with it and couldn't find anything to listen to, so thinking something was wrong I decided to "initialize" it according to the manual. So now I get the same message -

0123456789 pri--
+++++++++
all channels
locked out!

What the heck do I do now?

KE5BCP

Analog Man
I have exactly the same problem, only I know why. Soon after I bought the scanner, I was fiddling around with it and couldn't find anything to listen to, so thinking something was wrong I decided to "initialize" it according to the manual. So now I get the same message -

0123456789 pri--
+++++++++
all channels
locked out!

What the heck do I do now?

You initialized it (wiping out the programming) so it now needs to be programmed.

sheddybong

I give up...

Well folks, I have NO idea how to programme the damn thing , so Pro-97 free to a good home as I can't be bothered with the hassle. What I thought might be a fun hobby to get into has turned into a nightmare due to my frustration. Ah well...

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Let me know where you live and what departments you want to listen to and I will send you step by step instructions on programing the radio. While programing from computer is easier, the radio can be programed by hand. As you can see by the information at the bottom of this message, I have programed a number of radios. Once you learn the basic programing steps, you should be able to put in everything you need.

sheddybong

Thank you Don & Doug for your replies. I live in Montrose, Scotland, and I bought the scanner in the USA, thinking it would be fun to listen to police, aircraft, taxis, coastguard etc. Anything really. If I could master that, then I'd move on a step further. My impatience at not being able to pick up anything in my hotel room in San Antonio led to me stupidly to initializing it. I'd appreciate any help at all, but I don't know anyone else who has one.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Too bad you didn't post to the RR while you were still in San Antonio... I could have met you to help.

bong,
Do you have a list of any of the frequencies you want to listen to? If so, programming them can be easy (you might want to program it while sitting at the screen typing in this forum).

First, if you have any frequency to listen to that is conventional (not on a trunking system) then we can program it as such:
Press Man
Then type in the position you want it to be placed in (000-999; Imagine a long list of these 1000 numbers placed with the 000 at the top and in descending order, to 999 at the bottom. Now, Bank 0 holds 000-099, Bank 1 holds 100-199, etc.) by using the keypad or arrow keys.
Press Man again- you should see the MXXX[b/] (XXX corresponding to its position in the "list").
Now Press Pgm (the M seen above switches to a P).
Next, using the numeral keys, type in the frequency you have (XXX.XXXX- the scanner may round) and then hit Enter
I believe the 97 knows when the freq is in AM/FM mode. This should program a conventional frequency.

Second, if you know of a trunked radio system then we will have to go more in depth for what you need, specifically. You can post those questions in the Radio Shack Scanners Forum here: http://www.radioreference.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81

Lastly, if you just want to hear something... (or if you don't know any freqs), use the Search function. It can either scan pre-defined ranges or a range that you define- these ranges are typical of the spectrum allocation for the United States, so the "Amateur" range may not be just that... you might be able to find a resource similar to our FCC (Federal Communications Commission), that publishes who is legally licensed to transmit on what frequency.

P.S. your scanner also has Signal Stalker (hold down the Scan key or the "crosshair" button), which finds some frequencies near you if they are really strong.

Hope this helps and Welcome to RR!

dbsar

Premium Subscriber
My pro 97 has worked fine for yrs. Then last night, I plug in the ear bud and WAM O,
0123456789 pri--
+++++++++
all channels
locked out!

I had not done anything elsse but plug in the ear bud (no recent reprograming etc, nothing.

Using Win 97, I uploaded my freq list and all's good now. But how did this error happen and how could I fix it if not at my computer? By reading the forum it sounds like the radio initialized itself??? How ???

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Using Win 97, I uploaded my freq list and all's good now. But how did this error happen and how could I fix it if not at my computer? By reading the forum it sounds like the radio initialized itself??? How ???
This is why it is essential to have another scanner handy, WIN97 handy, or some means to reprogram your scanner.

Over the past 6 or so years, this has happened to me once. I run all the scanners below (more than one of most of them), and it was a PRO-97 that this happened to as well. It happened when I was changing power sources with the scanner ON. I still do this daily.

Having not seen the firmware, and knowing there are bugs in the firmware since prior versions of scanners, I can only GUESS as to what is happening. Keep in mind that my profession is largely writing complex firmware such as what runs these radios....

The scanner keeps track of what is locked out, what banks are enabled, and even what channel/frequency it was last on. That way when you power it down and re-power it, it picks up where you left off. This involves saving some parameters to non-volatile memory (EEPROM). This same memory contains all programmed information such as frequencies and alpha tags. If, when writing to this memory, something does not function correctly, it gets corrupted. When the scanner re-powers, it checks this memory, and it fails to meet some test, so it thinks nothing is programmed. When there is nothing to scan, all channels are effectively locked out.

I hope you understand this explanation, which is merely speculation on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.