what is happening here

Status
Not open for further replies.

teufler

When scanning a trunking system, an Astro system, I get a vice decode fot about 5 seconds, then a constant "hissing" sound, no voice. Doesn't matter if it is the dispatcher or a mobile. Oner or the other talks, 5 seconds then the audio drops and the hissing sound starts. I am using a 396xt, system type is a motorola type II / p25. All other systems decode audio correctly. Setup per RR database, site info exactly what RR says. The systems are not jumping to encryption as I get no beep, sqawks, or other encryption radio sounds, which I get when the FBI comes on the air. Looking for a suggestion or thought here.

teufler

using a 996xt scanner, only on trhe chesapeake city, va system. On Orion it works fine, Since I listen to the police mostly,, not sure if its happening on other groups within Chesapeake. Need to check that out.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Last time I was in the Chesapeake/Virginia Beach area I remember having an issue "similar" to yours. Found out -- and please don't yell at me if I am wrong here -- they are Type II hybrid systems. In other words some of the radio traffic is analog and some of it is digital. You have to make sure "each TG" is set for the correct modulation. In other words the fire operations may be analog but the police operations may be digital.

In my case I had everything set for analog and I was getting odd or different sounding radio signals. I believe the UPman actually gave me the correct answer and I was able to fix it. Ten minutes later everything was cool. Please note ....... I programmed everything by hand. I did not and do not use software. So if there is a way to possibly fix your problem I would not know. And I am assuming my answer may be close to what is happening to you.

Good luck.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
BTW ....Have fun in Chesapeake. It is a beautiful place. A long way from "our" neck of the woods here in MO.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Try setting the talkgoup audio type to digital only. If the talkgroup type is set to all, the scanner needs to try to figure out if it is analog or digital, and it may be making the wrong choice at times.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Well, how is your reception now in the Virginia Beach area. Would love to hear if your problem was fixed?

teufler

got the scanner wet, drying it out before I apply the "smoke " to it. I know it was dumb, as my ht ius water resistant and I didn't think about the portable. It has an open hole for the speaker jack and no plug. The ht has plugs. So radio was not turned on at the time, now its sitting upside down draining or drying.. I'll givbe in a couple of days. It get heat from the sun light and should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.