Transmitting Over Several Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulbk

Hello,

I'm trying to setup up a transmitter that would broadcast audio from my PC over multiple FM Frequencies. The application is: I have my desktop in my home office and I would like to be able to listen to my music in my garage that is ~200ft in the backyard. I have a .5w FM transmitter but instead of broadcasting over a single FM frequency, I would like to broadcast over all of them - if possible.
Thoughts?

Thanks!

CapStar362

what would the range of said 500mW Xmitter be?

to answer your question in simple.... NO not possible. and what "FM Band" are you referring to ?

if standard FM of the same range of public FM radio stations.... you need a license for that, actually you need a license ( in theory for all FM broadcast other than stuff like hand held walkie talkies, and CB Radio ) and then, if you hit a frequency that is already taken... you will interfere with it. causing disruption of service to the public.

best to use a system safe for broadcasting a SINGLE frequency, not all of them. your comment implies you want to jam others with your music.

paulbk

Thank you for your replies. the FM band i'm referring to is 87.5-107 - as you suspected. While the transmitter I have is capable of a ~2500ft range I would definitely plan to dial it back a bit so it doesn't go beyond the bounds of my property (15 acres)

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
No license needed here, Cap:

http://www.ccrane.com/FM-Transmitters

I have one, but it didn't transmit too far, certainly not the OP's intended distance, but I live in an FM heavy area with lots of local stations, one of them quite strong. If the OP lives in an area without a lot of FM-BCB stations, he may be able to utilize this unit.

Sorry, OP, only transmits on one frequency at a time!

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Forgive me for not paying attention, but the OP does have a 1/2 watt transmitter. That should be all you need. There is no advantage, nor any available devices, that transmit over all of the FM freqs simultaneously.

Along the lines of what JoeyC said; why not use wifi? There are available outdoor antennas for extending range, which can be had for not too much $$.

Then you can use a tablet or smartphone.

rapidcharger

Maybe the OP is trying to mimic what they hear on the FM dial, when they turn the dial and hear the same garbage on every station and synchronized commercial breaks because the stations are owned by the same company.

Although it's hard to believe those are all separate stations!

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Funny, Rapid!
Or, perhaps he wants to recreate the too-powerful FM station in my town that bleeds through pretty much everything with metal in it!

Cowthief

Hello.

Is it possible? yes, you would need to generate a harmonic that is in 200 kHz intervals and a master carrier The big problem is that the average power would be shared with ALL channels.
So, if you wanted 1 watt average per channel, you would need a 101 watt transmitter.
N, 87.9 MHz, and n, 200 kHz, the step, X, 101, 107.9 MHz.
That would take a crystal at 87.9 MHz and a crystal at 200 kHz.
Think of the old "precision" marker generators.
Harmonics would not work easily, as you want 87.9 MHz, and the second harmonic would be 175.8 MHz.
Frequency synthesizer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So, yes, it would be possible.

FM Part 15 is the following

CFR 47 Part 15.239

you are limited to 250uV/m @ 3m and a 200 khz channel bandwidth using odd spaced channels such as 88.1, .3, .5, etc

this should get you about 800ft max to a decent automobile radio or home stereo with a dipole, 400 or so ft to a decent portable communications receiver, and about 50-100ft to a garbage boombox or Walkman

any part 15 questions can be directed to me. i try to check the forums but if i don't happen to see them in a timely manner then feel free to pm me any questions on the subject.

i am the resident part 15 expert and run a part 15.219 / 15.239 station here out of my apartment :)

pic's of my setup can be seen at link below.

just for reference those cheap over power Chinese transmitters are very dirty and aside from the obvious running over power that dirty output will draw the attention of the FCC when you start interfering with your neighbors reception and they do put spikes on the 108-136 air band as well so if you hook it up to a large antenna system you may draw the attention of the FAA as well. i recommend and use one of these Waio BR8000 you will get a faster response via email HeyWaio@Waio.com

Classic Hits 1630 AM 88.9 FM

Last edited:
i suspect a jam troll.

yep.

that is my suspicion too.

but that will be the least of his problems with that dirty output transmitter that puts spikes in the air band and if he is somehow successful in modifying a transmitter to generate a signal every 200 kHz across the band it won't be long before he gets a very unfriendly visit from the friendly candy company.

Status
Not open for further replies.