• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

RX Narrowbanded Freq.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello All,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. I've gone between a few boards trying to decide, but i figured I'd start here.
I have a Motorola Astro Spectra 45watt Trunk mount VHF radio in my vehicle. It is not narrowband capable. I use a Uniden BCT8 in the house (Yes, I know, old school and out dated). My local VFD has gone narrowband and is on 151.2725, my scanner picks it up on 151.2750. I was wondering if i could program the 151.2750 into the spectra and it pick up just as the scanner does. I'm not needing to TX just RX. also, if that is possible, will it pose an issue with missed traffic or something else?

W8VFD

Feed Provider
I'd say give it a try and see what happens, I'm doing sort of the same thing now as our fire repeater is on 154.1525 and my scanner rounds it to 154.155 and it hears everything just fine.

Nasby

You should be just fine with rounding off the frequency.

For RX, your ears will probably not even notice a difference.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Absolutely will work just fine.

Narrow band signals on a wide band radio will sound a bit quieter compared to wide band signals on a wide band radio. Just crank the volume up a bit.

When we did our system narrow banding back in 2012, we switched the repeater to narrow band first, then we did the mobiles and portables over a few days. No issues and no one complained.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
In the RSS, try holding SHIFT while entering the frequency. As I recall you have to type the whole thing in, and this is the method to over-ride the normal rounding and/or out-of-band entry.

Disclaimer: from my fading memory and presented without fact checking...

Status
Not open for further replies.