Best Wireless Carrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2xq

Mentor
I recognize this piece may start a food fight but the points bring out some ideas worth thinking about when selecting what to buy.

The Best Wireless Carriers | The Wirecutter

I often question these types of "best" writings as the foci seems to be on metropolitan urban and suburban areas. Driving in the Rocky Mountain states and traveling across the plains states shows off the shortcomings. I find areas of New York state, southern New Jersey and surrounding states are also problematical.

Every customer has an opinion, and judging from what I read on some of the Android forums there is no consensus. So have at it. Just don't throw tomatoes. [emoji40]

Prior to vesting out, I was the 9-1-1 coordinator for a diversely populated county win the Midwest. That's a euphemism for "sprawl" with encroachment on rural areas. Being the 9-1-1 coordinator was especially relevant for cellular, because I was the recipient of non-disclosure information concerning site placement, sectors, and various characteristics the carriers regard as proprietary and more or less trade secret. Given that they are generally market-based, there is no site-based license on file that one can reference, like public safety or business. So, I got to see the breadth of carriers - A and B band 800, the 800 MHz ESMR that pretended to be a cellular carrier, a bunch of PCS carriers, start-up AWS carriers, etc. Each of these had different spectrum and modulation techniques, so their characteristics were different.

The more important part, though, was learning the philosophy of some carriers. For example, one particular carrier emphasized coverage of the Interstates. A 2 mile excursion in either direction got you zero bars of coverage. Another carrier put up very high sites in rural areas that had little capacity. More than one discussion with cellular representatives had a "cow phone" joke embedded within them. A smaller carrier decided to high sites up about every 10 miles or so, with one about 2 miles away from where I lived. For the longest time, it was the only carrier that worked out by me, but it was a GSM carrier that offered very slow data services. But they seemed to make the biggest commitment throughout the region.

My take is that, to the marketing people, everything is the same beneath the flim-flam of plans (my first plan negotiation played like I felt someone was perpetrating a fraud against me). It's not. It's vastly different. Even with "good" coverage and capacity, what's the carrier's plan for continuity of operation? Network surveillance? Let's say, for instance, there's a widespread outage. They have a COW or satellite truck (the one that goes to the big chiefs' conferences and has amber whacker lights all over it and the half-dozen neatly groomed field-deployable twenty-somethings wearing navy blue polo shirts and tan 5-11 pants). Your outage is over 1,500 square miles with 65 sites gone dark. Who gets the truck? Is that the area where you've lost other modes of communication, or where their revenue plots show the greatest impact to their bottom-line (and what are they going to tell you when it trucks out to the moneymaker and your contingency plan has them in it)? Which sites have batteries vs. generator hookups? If a generator were to be hooked up, is there a box on a telephone pole somewhere that has a deep cycle battery running special equipment that happens to be the weakest link?

All the issues need to be considered. For what it's worth, I don't own a cellphone. I get one issued to me. The "great deal" is fine for 90% of the time, but the system chokes down and becomes unusable quickly. It was virtually useless when I made a recent trip back to my house in the Midwest. This was one of the carriers who wants the highway revenue, but can't care enough about "flyover" territory to invest in it - even minimally. Add to that, the poor quality audio that my already failing hearing strains to make out under ideal conditions, and I just could not care less who the glossy sheets say is "best."

The only best is the one that can provide the quality of service you need when you need it. No marketing person will ever tell you that directly.

CapStar362

i have Verizon also, and it is my understanding through research that Verizon is the target of the Governments relentless pounding of warrants and subpoena's because a "stingray" box cannot sting a CDMA phone. until they crack that... ill NEVER leave Verizon :)

w2xq

Mentor
902, points taken. When I first got a mobile phone in 1991 and traveling to Indiana, the games of choosing the A and B networks and using coverage maps booklets was folly. Areas of Kentucky, West Virginia, western Maryland and western Pennsylvania was guesswork and hill-topping.

Things are a lot better now. Two years ago I had at least 1x coverage in desolate central Wyoming. Last fall, I only lost coverage in the mountain canyons east of Los Alomos, New Mexico.

I agree, coverage and service capabilites are the trigger points of making a decision on what to buy.

Anyway, I posted the link as food for thought. My perception is that many buyers shop plans first and then wonder why the cell phone doesn't work.

CapStar362

awesome I did not know that! just don't upgrade to a 4G LTE phone then!

why? even 4g LTE is still CDMA 2000 rev C1, which is right now from all my reading and study, not stingray capable.

heck, even the newest XLTE which happens to be in Atlanta, gives me a NICE 73.6 Mbit Download and almost a 12Mbit upload, still........ not stingray capable.

makes you wonder why every month the government is issuing almost 1400 requests and subpoena's for data on their clients. last year alone over 150K were issued, and Verizon has a firm stance with them,

NO

thus, i will not be leaving Verizon until i find other wise. ATT, T-Mobile, Sprint, Boost, Straight Talk, Simple Mobile, AIO Wireless....

ALL GSM ........ and yes you guessed it, STINGRAY capable.

the CDMA 2000 Rev C1 full duplex encryption renders the stingray box non-compliment with the Verizon service. they don't have the ENC Keys to the Verizon towers, Verizon will not give them either. thus if a stingray box attempts a hit on a Verizon phone, the user loses service. giving them that one very noticeable indication, they are being stung.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
All the carriers suck, IMO.
You have to find one that works where and for what you need them for.

I have both Verizon and T-Mobile (well, Metro PCS actually but it is a T-Mobile phone on the T-Mobile network, as T-Mobile owns Metro PCS now and is decommissioning the old Metro PCS CDMA network to add that spectrum to their UMTS/LTE networks).

Quite frankly, T-Metro has WAAAY better voice quality on their UMTS network than my Verizon phone, which uses their CDMA EV-DO network for voice calls, until Verizon gets off their butts and rolls out VoLTE, (which ironically Metro had on their LTE network from day one), voice calls on Verizon are painful and robotic sounding.

OTOH, Verizon's XLTE data network is incredible.

My Iphone 5c on VZW 4G xLTE I have regularly seen 62mb/s down and 44mb up, whereas T-Metro's LTE network is about half that. Still not bad. I use T-Metro for voice and it works superbly. No dropped calls, crystal clear audio. T-Metro also does something no other US carrier seems to care about, and that is WiFi calling. My T-Metro phone will work anywhere there is WiFi, worldwide, with no additional charges for both voice calls AND SMS/MMS. No proprietary micro cells needed. This is great for remote areas or traveling abroad.

But I don't think no ONE single carrier is "the best" at everything. Of course I am a guy who's had them all. The worst carrier I ever put up with was AT&T. Even Sprint was better coverage wise.

bchappuie

The best carrier, is an loaded question. There are many moving parts here.
1. Network. Best performance, reliability, voice quality. ---Root metrics seems to be the standard for that info.
2. Customer Service. --Just look at J.D. Powers for that.
3. Best price, or best value. Good luck there. Comparing apples to apples is a struggle at best. A price war on data is underway by the two bottom tier companies. I don't think the big boys will play in that fight. Just some minor promotions.

It depends on where, how and when you use the service, for the most part. What works best for you at the best value, when and where you want it, is best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.