Upman and September

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well it better be something because Whistler is coming out strong right now. They have their high tier scanners hitting the market and either Uniden goes into high gear or they will get left behind.

When that de-teachable face Phase II TDMA scanner comes out from Whistler hold onto your shorts scanner listeners.

They better have that Siren app figured out and a new scanner model hit the streets before Christmas or its over.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Also take a look at the AOR AR-DV1 with its DMR, NXDN, D-STAR modes that will be out in 2015...

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Here's hoping Butel will program the new Whistler lineup. That's almost a dealbreaker for me

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Here's hoping Butel will program the new Whistler lineup. That's almost a dealbreaker for me

Check Here.....

and here...

The Radio Shack badged versions of the newly released (so far) Whistler scanners are supported, I am just guessing that the Whistler units will be also.

Last edited:

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I noticed that Upman avatar is showing September. Does anyone have an idea what September means ? A new scanner ? or an upgrade ?

I noticed UPMan avatar a few days ago showing Sept. I wonder if they got the app (siren) and the analyze going and ready to go.....

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Well it better be something because Whistler is coming out strong right now. They have their high tier scanners hitting the market and either Uniden goes into high gear or they will get left behind.

When that de-teachable face Phase II TDMA scanner comes out from Whistler hold onto your shorts scanner listeners.

They better have that Siren app figured out and a new scanner model hit the streets before Christmas or its over.

I only hope that Whistler fixes the front end problem on the yet to be FCC certified model(s) they will be releasing.
If not, that is a deal breaker for myself as I cannot use a GRE on VHF High.
All they need to do is add in some simple FM Broadcast band filtering and that would cure their known front end problems for the most part.

Anyone know if that area has been addressed at all with the rebadged GRE's they are now selling via various retailers?
I would think a change in that area may trigger a recertification with the FCC but that one should be very easy to get recertified on the existing GRE clones that are rumored to be available now.
All they would be doing is adding a few passive components to create a FM Broadcast band filter.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Check Here.....

and here...

The Radio Shack badged versions of the newly released (so far) Whistler scanners are supported, I am just guessing that the Whistler units will be also.

Yeah, how about that, are the released Whistler branded versions based on RadioShack or GRE firmware?

I recall the two were not compatible plus you also had a "C" version for the Canadian market.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Whistler radios

A Whistler engineer I talked to at Dayton said the initial radios would be the same as the GRE models, but FCC rules required they all be recertified. Since it took a huge effort to get them back into production, I can't imagine there was time for any circuit revisions. I have not experienced any problems with VHF, and there are still a couple of police departments near me using VHF and UHF narrow banding instead of coughing up the big bucks.

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
I only hope that Whistler fixes the front end problem on the yet to be FCC certified model(s) they will be releasing.
If not, that is a deal breaker for myself as I cannot use a GRE on VHF High.
All they need to do is add in some simple FM Broadcast band filtering and that would cure their known front end problems for the most part.

Anyone know if that area has been addressed at all with the rebadged GRE's they are now selling via various retailers?
I would think a change in that area may trigger a recertification with the FCC but that one should be very easy to get recertified on the existing GRE clones that are rumored to be available now.
All they would be doing is adding a few passive components to create a FM Broadcast band filter.

I wholeheartedly agree about the VHF problem, and don't forget the noisy volume knob issue. Both are practically deal breakers for me unless the sales price is low enough to make them easier to overlook.

I'd much prefer a new Uniden Phase 2 radio along the lines of the 996 (or 396), and that's what I'm hoping will be the September surprise. :)

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I wholeheartedly agree about the VHF problem, and don't forget the noisy volume knob issue. Both are practically deal breakers for me unless the sales price is low enough to make them easier to overlook.

I'd much prefer a new Uniden Phase 2 radio along the lines of the 996 (or 396), and that's what I'm hoping will be the September surprise. :)

We can only hope!
I'd love to see a 3/996 similar model with Phase II as well but as was mentioned, I think we may see the missing features from the x36HP line. That in itself would be welcome as well. My 536HP runs circles around my 3/996 T and XT's as far as P25 reception goes in the VHF and 7/800 bands.
My GRE's do well for 7/800 P25 sites also but not as good as the Uniden 4/536HP's.

Ha, September is now less than 24 hours away so I guess it won't be long if something is coming down the pipes from Uniden!

garys

Premium Subscriber

That's an awful lot of excitement for a scanner with last generation technology. Whistler is about a year behind Uniden as of today, I think they are the ones that need to step it up a bit.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Whistler is no where near a year behind Uniden's technology. What kind of dope have you been smoking?

Uniden's new flagship scanner was built upon lies to their customers right out of the gate. That's the worse thing you could ever do your fan base. Lie to them and promise features that almost a year later are still no available. Hardware issues right from the factory. I guess I can keep going.

Plus Whistler has made no promises and no lies their customers yet.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Whistler is no where near a year behind Uniden's technology. What kind of dope have you been smoking?

Uniden's new flagship scanner was built upon lies to their customers right out of the gate. That's the worse thing you could ever do your fan base. Lie to them and promise features that almost a year later are still no available. Hardware issues right from the factory. I guess I can keep going.

You're right, it's probably closer to two years before we'll see anything original from Whistler.
You can apologize for your insult any time now.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
We get it...you hate Uniden and are a Whistler fanboy.
Your history of being a forum troll is well noted.
How about you go hang out in the GRE/Whistler forum where you can play Whistler sycophant all day long?
Marshall KE4ZNR

airwolfbell222

Premium Subscriber
SEPT means that in September we will get another update saying the the wifi module firmware is being sent back to the vendor for more updates and it will be another 30 days

Status
Not open for further replies.