• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX-5000 dual-mode P25/NXDN radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
So I saw a couple posts from earlier this year in reference to a new radio from Kenwood designed to operate on both P25 and NXDN systems, but can't find any information on it on Kenwood's site or anywhere else for that matter. It sounds like it would fit my idea perfectly (fire and railroad) and save carrying around two radios when I'm out and about (when rail eventually switches to NXDN)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
They haven't been released yet. Kenwood is starting a dealer "road show" in September to show them off to the dealers, and I hope to get more information then.

They'll do: Analog, NXDN, P25 phase 1 and 2 as well as NexEdge and P25 trunking.
First model will be 700-800MHz, with VHF following. UHF will come after the VHF models are released. At least that is what I was told by the Kenwood rep.
Bluetooth and GPS are in the radio.

The 700-800MHz version was supposed to be released late this year. Not sure when the VHF version will happen.
My understanding was eventually there would be a multiband version, but no word on that yet.

No word on pricing yet, but expect it to be "around" the price of the current P25 phase 2 Kenwood radios ($1800 and up).

Hopefully there will be some more information on these radios available as they start the dealer roadshow. As soon as I get some more detailed info from our rep about these, I'll post it.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Starting this month (Sept) Kenwood will be traveling the US showcasing the NX-5000 to its dealers. I'm sure after the introduction then more information will be forthcoming. I for one would sure like to get my mits on one.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Saw the portable last week. I do not believe anything has been left out. Oct./Nov release for 700/800 . Dec for vhf and uhf.

That makes sense. I figured they wouldn't be showing it to the dealers if it wasn't ready to be sold.

I should add Memory card slot, Voting , color type screen, OTAP,

Interesting, I saw the color display at IWCE, but I didn't see the memory card slot. What is it for?

st126

I did not see the slot but was told by the rep. With the purchase of EF Johnson who knows where Kenwood is headed I bet Motorola is watching

wkredick

The slot is under the battery for the SD/mSD cards,The NX5000 ships loaded with all features but requires a purchased license key to enable per ESN/Model and Serial Number.I am very new to the KW world and I am excited about this radio series.Also trying to get more control over programming software and licenses for such. Their version of the IMPRES technology looks promising on the NX5K series.
Now to find some P25 system owners will to take on some different brands onto their system.
Type C and D trunking on this one unit should open alot of doors and systems in the NXDN world.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
0c06be260e3d26a03572f09824670d96.jpg

This is the most interesting thing I saw up to this point! Dual Band optional!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
Now that is a sweet radio!. The display alone makes me want one or two or three....It would be nice if it did LTR, but since that mode is not geared to PS users I can understand that.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The NX5000 ships loaded with all features but requires a purchased license key to enable per ESN/Model and Serial Number.

First "gut" reaction to this: "Oh dear God, someone at Kenwood went and drank the Motorola Kool-Aide"
Second, delayed reaction: I can see this being useful -IF- it helps keep the prices down, and adding features is easy and not too expensive. Still sounds like they've been swilling the Kool-Aide. I hope they don't screw this up, and I hope their execution of it makes sense.

I am very new to the KW world and I am excited about this radio series.Also trying to get more control over programming software and licenses for such.

I'm looking forward to this radio, too. I would have just ordered 20 VHF/800 units if they were available.
Again, "getting more control over programming software and license" starts to sound, on the surface, like Kool-Aide consumption. Again, I'm OK with licensing software as long as the prices remain reasonable and it's executed in a way that makes sense. If they start going all Moto-y on this I'll be happy to remind them that I'm not exclusive to Kenwood and I'll take my business elsewhere.

Not attacking the messenger. Thanks for posting all this, I appreciate it. I was hoping we'd hear some news today.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I am very new to the KW world and I am excited about this radio series.

I was new to Kenwood LMR about 5 years ago. The company I work for is a mix of Kenwood and Vertex with a Motorola or two thrown in, hands down I prefer the Kenwoods over the other two brands.

The LMR dealer the tech guy deals with is a Vertex dealer, and is where our fleet is headed. Thankfully I managed to scrounge a NX-700 and managed to get it installed in my truck.

If you want decent radios, with good features and lots of channels at decent prices Kenwood is the way to go. I only wish I could tie a NX-700 and a NX-800 to one control head and have a dual band radio. That and DMR firmware for the NX-7/800...

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
So if I'm not mistaken.... I can get one Kenwood radio that does UHF, VHF, P25 and NXDN?

I'm not sure if I can wait for this to come out!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So if I'm not mistaken.... I can get one Kenwood radio that does UHF, VHF, P25 and NXDN?

I'm not sure if I can wait for this to come out!

Not quite yet. The single band radios are coming out first, then there are indications that multi band versions will be released. And, yes, P25 (phase 1 and 2), NXDN and analog all in one radio.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Not quite yet. The single band radios are coming out first, then there are indications that multi band versions will be released. And, yes, P25 (phase 1 and 2), NXDN and analog all in one radio.

I am kinda hoping it will be done by linking single band RF decks.

iceman977th

Feed Provider

If it is dual band P25+NXDN capable, all they have to do is throw trunking into the mix and I will preorder one right now! Oh, and it wouldn't hurt if they added multiple scan lists, that's a feature I've always wanted in a radio.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.