• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What Two Truckers Think of CB Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard a truck driver attempt to call another driver on Channel 19 to tell him about a flat tire on his truck. When that "flat" driver didn't answer, the calling driver remarked that he didn't understand why some drivers don't listen to their CB Radio. He said the CB was the most important tool he had in his truck. Another driver chimed in that the radio was indeed a tool and he couldn't make it without it. They went on about how some drivers think their cell phone & GPS is the answer to everything, how some drivers don't turn on their CB until they roll upon a slowdown, then they want to know "right now" what's going on, how the "flat" driver would find out about the flat shortly when it came apart, and how that particular company (I won't name it) had plenty of money for tires anyway. Interesting and funny.

KF5YDR

You've never been on a highway and not had cell reception? I can't reliably stream music or receive notifications on my phone between Houston and Dallas on I-45, and that's not exactly a desolate stretch of road.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Premium Subscriber
With technology like GPS, smartphones, and apps like Zello I'm surprised CB is still around at all.

If you're on the highway and need to contact the driver several lengths ahead of you in the slow lane- how would you get your Twitter handle or Cell # to him? Osmosis? ESP? Is the trucker supposed to be staring at his smart phone screen while driving to catch up on the latest Tweets? Is there a special twitter channel for I-40 between Albequerque and Bum Fudge? Is there internet or cell reception all over the nation no matter where you are?

Like one trucker statement in the other comment- the CB is THE most important tool on the truck. It is not a toy (sometimes!) it's actually used to contact people- immediately.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I heard a truck driver attempt to call another driver on Channel 19 to tell him about a flat tire on his truck. When that "flat" driver didn't answer, the calling driver remarked that he didn't understand why some drivers don't listen to their CB Radio. He said the CB was the most important tool he had in his truck. Another driver chimed in that the radio was indeed a tool and he couldn't make it without it. They went on about how some drivers think their cell phone & GPS is the answer to everything, how some drivers don't turn on their CB until they roll upon a slowdown, then they want to know "right now" what's going on, how the "flat" driver would find out about the flat shortly when it came apart, and how that particular company (I won't name it) had plenty of money for tires anyway. Interesting and funny.

As a trucker that's been in that situation (the guy calling, and they guy with the flat rear inside dual on a trailer) there's also the possibility that the guy with the flat doesn't speak much, if any, English.

You might be amazed to learn how many foreign born drivers there are on the roads that can barely speak or read English.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
With technology like GPS, smartphones, and apps like Zello I'm surprised CB is still around at all.

If the SHTF, and GPS is turned off for non-military ops, and cell towers are without power, or jammed, you'll wish CB was still around.

Oldme

Interesting.
I got back into CB radio because we are retired and now have a camper.
We have found many roads and State Parks without cell coverage.

The wife became a believer when we made a trip to visit our Daughter in Louisiana.
We ran into a backup on I85 35 miles from Montgomery Al.

After a 3 hour detour andneeding to find gas, the wife said I was RIGHT about betting a CB again!

The interstate was closed for over 24 hours due to a wreck and a fire.

Now to get the base going.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
And does crappy band work when the over powered rigs are calling HELLLOO? And with less interference on MURS frequencies in the US, crappy band really is not required. I wonder what women think of the language being used? The most important tool in a truck is the driver.

And does crappy band work when the over powered rigs are calling HELLLOO? And with less interference on MURS frequencies in the US, crappy band really is not required. I wonder what women think of the language being used? The most important tool in a truck is the driver.

I knew it wouldn't be long before someone showed up in a CB RADIO FORUM on a mission to save us from damnation. Every CB enthusiast already knows about these shortcomings. You haven't provided any new information. More importantly, I'll bet you haven't changed a single mind!

Oldme

Ref HELLLOO.... and language.

Not heard anything really out of the way.
I have heard a lot more in the workplace before
I retired, form both men and women.

I have read that argument a number of times.
Never found it in real life.

Crappy Band work?
Another opinion I have found to be unfounded.

I also have a volume, squelch and RF gain if I
do not want to listen.

CB was made for short distance communication.
On the highway it works well.
I do not believe that MURS, with it's limitations is better.
From what I read and hear CB is again growing in many areas.

Like everything in life, CB hobby is what you make it.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber

And how is MURS going to help you when you go across the northern or southern borders?

As has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads. A great number of Distribution centers, shippers, and even smaller receivers have installed base CB antennas and radios on their sites so that the Linker can contact the drivers with info as they pull on the lot. Out of all the stops I made in my 2 years OTR **ONLY ONCE** was there a sign that said call a telephone number..

You pull in, see a sign that says "Call Receiving on CH ##" you spin the dial, call them and they can tell you what dock you're bumping. Go to your dock, setup. Walk back to open your doors, and the dock worker is waiting on the dock for your paperwork. Some even call you when you're done.

You can berate CB all you want. But, it's a valuable tool for a trucker, even if it's an annoyance the rest of the time it's on.

Take a vacation some time. Try to make 600 miles in a day with no real contact with others.

Oldme

n9mq
Be-aware of Virginia Motor Vehicle Code
46.2-1078 Headphones-Unlawful Use of While Driving (Motor Vehicle, Moped or Bicycle)

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
n9mq
Be-aware of Virginia Motor Vehicle Code
46.2-1078 Headphones-Unlawful Use of While Driving (Motor Vehicle, Moped or Bicycle)

Most wired hands free are single earphones. Not headphones. We have the same type law up here, and most LEO's won't even look at you with one in.. Have both, and WHAM..

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
A lot of drivers now days have bought into the new Backup brand of radios.. The only time they turn them on is when they come upon a backup... Then they immediately start yelling wondering what's going on and what lane they need to be in..

radchuck03

Premium Subscriber
CB radio's far from being dead

With more and more jurisdictions tightening the rules on using cellphones, it is no surprise that many truckers and drivers are using CB radios a little more. Unless I am wrong, as far as I know you cannot be ticketed using a CB radio, like you can a cellphone except in an emergency of course. Cellphones and GPS are not everything.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I knew it wouldn't be long before someone showed up in a CB RADIO FORUM on a mission to save us from damnation. Every CB enthusiast already knows about these shortcomings. You haven't provided any new information. More importantly, I'll bet you haven't changed a single mind!

I wasn't trying to change any minds. Just stating a fact. Loved CB when it was first used by responsible people. But have seen it degenerate into what it is today. That does not mean everyone acts like chicken band user. There are far too many choices in radios today to rely on CB. And these have all been stated on one thread or another. At one time it was hard to travel a block and not see a CB antenna. And there were plenty of antennas on cars/trucks. Unlike today when they are almost none. I guess with the declining solar cycle there may be some short range use of CB. But with every solar cycle downturn, there is also a downturn in the number of people using CB. In my area, whenever I have monitored CB there has been nothing of value to it. Far more info on the various trucking frequencies. A scanner gives more info than CB if you know the frequencies used in your area.

radchuck03

Premium Subscriber
I remember the popularity of CB radio in the 70's and its peak popularity in 1976. I'm 56 years old, and I always have loved it. The change in technology and combined with new tech devices have all but killed it. I still am one that believes it survival. I guess I never left my teen years in that respect. I still have a hand held CB radio next to my bed. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.