• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Long Range Antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hey
i hear someone use long pipe of cooper pipes under the attic for a great signal.
some friends use citizens band radio on there car and the antenna is vertical polarized but the antenna on the attic is horizontal polarized.
So how can that work? And it is work how long should the coper pipe be?
Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Lower frequencies tend to bounce around a lot, so antenna polarization isn't quite as critical as it is on higher frequencies.
AM broadcast stations use vertically polarized antennas, but a horizontal wire antenna will receive them fine. Same with CB. There is likely a bit of signal loss, but probably not enough to really make a difference.

Length of copper pipe needs to be something resonate at 27MHz. two lengths of 108 inches would work to make a simple dipole. Doesn't need to be copper pipe, though. Plain old copper wire will work fine.

jackj

Most HF antennas are horizontally polarized for a number of reasons. QRM (man made RF noise) is mostly vertically polarized so using a horizontal antenna will reduce the amount of noise you receive. A skip signal's polarization will be scrambled so receive antenna polarization won't make a great deal of difference. Why not go with the less noisy option. Another reason is the length of the antenna makes mounting one horizontally much easier than vertically mounting. A half-wave antenna at 27 MHz is going to be about 17 - 18 ft long.

The penalty of cross polarization is going to be between 20 to 30 db.

k9rzz

A vertical signal polarization isn't the point on HF (like it might be on VHF/UHF), it's the low angle to the horizon that vertically polarized HF antennas favor. You can have a very low angle of attack to the horizon with a horizontal antenna, but it has to be high off the ground. Like 60 feet or more. How high is your attic? Does it really make a difference? It makes a HUGE difference.

Angle of Radiation - What is it?

https://www.google.com/search?q=ang...IrH8AHe9oHQCw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=907&bih=438

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
So how can i build an Antenna for CB Radio who have the maximum Gain?

sdeeter19555

Stupid question on the copper pipe, but if you were to simply screw two 108" lengths of copper pipe to the rafters (think horizontal dipole), would the wood act as an insulator? That would be a fairly easy install, two pieces of copper pipe, about six screws for anchoring, and you could solder the coax to the pipe.

I know wire can be used, but the pipe being rigid has its appeal...I have also made a dipole with two 102" whips and allowed them to droop, and that worked pretty good.

prcguy

Basically yes and the feedpoint ends of the pipes would be less sensitive to insulator properties than the ends where the impedance and voltage are the highest.
prcguy

Stupid question on the copper pipe, but if you were to simply screw two 108" lengths of copper pipe to the rafters (think horizontal dipole), would the wood act as an insulator? That would be a fairly easy install, two pieces of copper pipe, about six screws for anchoring, and you could solder the coax to the pipe.

I know wire can be used, but the pipe being rigid has its appeal...I have also made a dipole with two 102" whips and allowed them to droop, and that worked pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.