Newbie Programming Questons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to scanners and have just purchased a Pro-96. I live in Aiken County. I have entered the frequencies found on RR into the scanner for North Augusta. Included are Aiken County Sheriff and Richmond County Sheriff as well. As it scans all of the included agencies EXCEPT for North Augusta Department of Public Safety. At this point I am only interested in NADPS and I cannot find the exact frequency/talk group ID number. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
NADPS is totally digital, phase 1 P25. Your scanner should be able to receive the talkgroups which are 57568 and 57600. I am not familiar with programming a Pro-96, but it is my understanding that it will program with the rebanded tower frequencies. Tower 6 is the Pal 800 tower for N. Augusta. You will have to be a paid member to download from Radio Reference (I believe). Otherwise, copying and entering the data is you next best choice.

Wake up Brian! (I believe he has a Pro-96)

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I do have a PRO-96, though not in use anymore. I was uncertain if NADPS was still on Palmetto 800 which is why I didn't comment. Seems like some agencies change back to conventional channels after a trial period of paying Palmetto 800 user fees.

As Barry said, program 855.6625, 855.3125, 854.3875 and 854.1375 into one bank of your PRO-96. These are the primary and alternate control channels for Site #6 in N. Augusta. Program each frequency in MO mode. On one of them, you should hear a continuous noise that sounds like an idling diesel engine. This is the active control channel.

Press Function+Trunk and press Mode until you're in MOT mode. You shouldn't need to set rebanding tables for this site because none of the frequencies used are "rebanded" frequencies. Enter talkgroups 57568 and 57600 and label them as NAPSD or some other useful alpha-tag.

Press scan and make sure the bank you chose to program these frequencies into is active. You should be able to scan these talkgroups at this point. Consider setting this bank to Open mode (Funct+5 while on a channel in this bank, you'll see a + appear under the bank number) and you'll hear ALL active talkgroups on the site. This will verify that you're successfully scanning the site and give you an idea of other agencies you might want to monitor. Closed mode (Funct+5 again) restricts the scanner to scanning only the talkgroups that have been programmed and aren't locked out.

Be warned that PRO-96 scanners are pretty long in the tooth these days. Quite a few of them suffer from "receiver drift" where the receiving circuitry becomes off-center in its tuning. This will cause poor to no digital decode when scanning. You can read online about possible internal adjustments that can help this but also hurt reception in other bands. Consider a newer model radio down the line if you find yourself hooked to the hobby.

Hope that helps.

Brian

Barefield33

Hi Brian -

I am in the same boat in N. Augusta except I am clueless trying to program this thing. I just purchased a BCD325P2 scanner and trying to get the palmetto 800 thing going.... can you offer any advice on how to do that? I just punched in all the scanner codes for N. Augusta on RR and hit scan.... can you offer any insight about the talk groups? thanks in advance for your help!!!

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Hello B33, which talkgroups do you want to listen to? If you want, switch your receiver to search and see what you pick up. Augusta, GA will probably be the majority of radio transmissions in N. Augusta unless you block the TGs. You should also be able to receive Aiken County as well. Let me know and I will try to help.
Barry

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Well, I'm not a Uniden guy so I can't offer much advice on the details of programming your radio. As mentioned above, program the frequencies for Site #6 of the Palmetto 800 page into a new trunked radio system, and then program the 2 talkgroups for North Augusta. If you skipped the first step, then you probably won't have much luck. I always recommend using software to program these modern scanners because I find it helps me understand the memory arrangement of the radio better. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.