Nashua, NH - Nashua considers bonding for $6 million radio system upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcpse

Why? I just don't get why they would spend so much money on something that isn't needed. I'd say the already complex smart zone II system does the job just fine...

KB1VLA

They will most likely be upgrading to a 9600 bps P25 system, as the Type II 3600 bps systems aren't supported by Motorola nay longer.

rapidcharger

They will most likely be upgrading to a 9600 bps P25 system, as the Type II 3600 bps systems aren't supported by Motorola nay longer.

All the more reason to get away from a Motorola race-to-waste trunking system. That way THEY can decide when it's time to replace hardware. Not the vendor. A small town like that buying a digital trunking network or joining one is absolutely and utterly preposterous.

DickH

All the more reason to get away from a Motorola race-to-waste trunking system. That way THEY can decide when it's time to replace hardware. Not the vendor. A small town like that buying a digital trunking network or joining one is absolutely and utterly preposterous.

It's called "keeping up with the Joneses" :)

NFR85

We are not a small town. We cover approx 36 square miles. We are the 2nd largest city after Manchester

mainetrunk

Nashua--upgrade to system

I read over at Scan New England that Nashua is going to be redoing their p25 system.

"Under the contract approved Tuesday, Motorola will complete the final phases of the systemwide upgrade. They include replacing the city's 10 radio channels, all 800 megahertz mobile radios and all Very High Frequency (VHF) radios in fire and police vehicles."

A quote from here
Motorola Solutions : Nashua Aldermen approve upgrade to city's radio communication system | 4-Traders

Does that mean their analog user's will be p25 now?
I didn't see PHASE II in there.
That would drive up scanner sales...lol

ecps92

Systems been online (as they build it out, not much activity yet) for sometime now, Surprise no one has mentioned it :cool:

We are not a small town. We cover approx 36 square miles. We are the 2nd largest city after Manchester

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
I read over at Scan New England that Nashua is going to be redoing their p25 system.

"Under the contract approved Tuesday, Motorola will complete the final phases of the systemwide upgrade. They include replacing the city's 10 radio channels, all 800 megahertz mobile radios and all Very High Frequency (VHF) radios in fire and police vehicles."

A quote from here
Motorola Solutions : Nashua Aldermen approve upgrade to city's radio communication system | 4-Traders

Does that mean their analog user's will be p25 now?
I didn't see PHASE II in there.
That would drive up scanner sales...lol

The equipment is in and being built. It may even be on line for testing already. Assuming they don't leave the old system in place, everything will go to the new P25 system, including former analog talkgroups. I assume there isn't anyone around Nashua that was buying analog trunked scanners just so they can listen to busses, wastewater and schools.

Phase 2 expansion is possible in all current P25 trunked systems.

This system will also be tied to Manchester, which will allow backup and interoperability between the cities. Another factor w/P25 trunked systems is they are not vendor specific for voice talkgroups. Conceivably, a Harris radio can communicate on a Motorola trunked system and in reverse.

mainetrunk

A couple of years ago,
I ran their freq's the conventional way on 1 of those open nights.
I don't recall where i put the result's but,
I know 1/2 of their freq's were p25 and 1/2 analog.
I mean--I ran them for hours..
Thats why I asked if they were gonna make the analog 1's p25..
I'll try that trick again tonight

mainetrunk

Well, the past couple of night's were not good enough to catch Nashua..
So, I went up the hill today--in that nice northerly breeze,
and caught 6 out of 10 freq's using p25.
it took me a while to filter thru all the EDAC jingle's from Manchester and Worcester.
I ran a search from 851.000---854.000...
So, yeah--i guess they are all p25.
Good--nuff

NFR85

Anyone know if this encryption or just an upgrade to P25 digital trunking or Phase 1

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
I can't speak to encryption, but it is a new Motorola P25 system w/Phase 1 and assuming eventual upgrade to Phase 2.

NFR85

I can't speak to encryption, but it is a new Motorola P25 system w/Phase 1 and assuming eventual upgrade to Phase 2.

Thank you. I have 996XT which does Phase 1 so I should be good until they switch to 2 correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.