Denver Public Schools $5.9 million security upgrade did not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Lets see, about $600 per teacher for a hand gun * about what, 40-50 teachers = somewhere in the neighborhood of $30,000? You would have saved a whole hell of a lot of money and would be better protected. Plus the "teachers are armed" signs would be a big deterrent too. Leave it to the buracracy that is the government. 5.9 freaking million for a damn panic button? A total fleecing of the taxpayers!

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
Lets see, about $600 per teacher for a hand gun * about what, 40-50 teachers = somewhere in the neighborhood of $30,000? You would have saved a whole hell of a lot of money and would be better protected. Plus the "teachers are armed" signs would be a big deterrent too. Leave it to the buracracy that is the government. 5.9 freaking million for a damn panic button? A total fleecing of the taxpayers!

AMEN!!!!!

I'm begining to wonder if, or when, any other tax payers are starting to get fed up?

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Romney 2016! :D :lol:

I often wonder how people don't get fed up with the huge amount of taxes. In the 1700's they were in an uproar of taxes on tea! Now look what we put up with. And they spend, spend, spend. And when a new tax is created for a certain project that tax will NEVER go away. It stays. I could go on and on.

Denver Public Schools $5.9 million security upgrade did not work

Response to incident using Denver’s new school security system raises concern | kdvr.com

Also, interesting to note that DPD tweeted that the whole thing went "smoothly". Haha, nice try. So much for the new openness.

It's quite apparent that DW2872 didn't read the tweets properly. The tweet clearly states that the "EVAC. WENT SMOOTHLY". That would be the evacuation, no where does it say "the whole thing"... BTW the news article never says anything about an evap. LOL

Last edited:

dw2872

I just saw this comment made by an out of state troll. I don't know where "productionguy85" gets off thinking he knows anything close to what he is talking about.

I actually heard the DPD officers yelling at each other and arguing about things that were not working over the radio during the evac and no, evac did not go well. I posted the link to the story and as an aside I ALSO posted the DPD tweet and said the evac did not go well. My comment was made because I am in Colorado and actually heard first hand what I am talking about. If he would have read this thread correctly then he would have known that.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I just saw this comment made by an out of state troll. I don't know where "productionguy85" gets off thinking he knows anything close to what he is talking about.

I actually heard the DPD officers yelling at each other and arguing about things that were not working over the radio during the evac and no, evac did not go well. My comment was made because I am in Colorado and actually heard first hand what I am talking about. If he would have read this thread correctly then he would have known that.

Now that would be good listening to, especially when cops get ticked and you can hear it on the radio. As someone there has probably said, "oops our bad". Agree on out of state people making presumptions that on an incident they did not hear. I am not in Colorado, but commenting on what you wrote and heard. I can see your frustration from those others not knowing what they are talking about. Very good information on your post, especially how we see our tax dollars are spent and spent for something that does not work.

dw2872

Thanks jwilson. You may be an out of state poster, but at least you have a genuine interest on what goes on here. If you take a look at productionguy's post history, you will see that he mainly just flutters around making smart alec replies to posts that do not contribute to the conversation.

Back on the Denver Public Schools system, I remember hearing a Denver Public School security officer supervisor on the DPS security channel talking about how he had to explain to a school principal what a button was used for after seeing it installed at his school without any warning. He was clearly not happy about what it was going to be used for. I did not realize why a "button" would be such a big deal to him until this story broke recently about the botched evacuation and the system that did not work.

And really nothing against the DPD officers that were on scene trying to get the kids out. They did their best. It is the new system that did not work. But I still have to say that the DPD PIO or whoever is sending out those tweets should have been called out in that story. The people that were interviewed (including staff, students, and parents) in the KDVR piece did say the evac did not go well at all. Even as an observer just listening I could tell the same thing.

Last edited:

wtnfs

Not a lot worked in this incident. DPD's tactics were unsound and dangerous to what teachers have been taught (or should be taught). Teachers and students are taught or should be taught to close the door and not open it FOR ANYONE. In this incident a teacher had to be texted to be told to open the door, she was then yelled at by DPD for not opening the door for them. If LE or anyone wants in that room they had better have a key, either a proper key or a "master key".

There were other issues but this one alone makes me shake with anger and the level of stupidity that was shown in this incident.

If this is "running smooth" DPS and DPD have a lot of work to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.