Can I listen to a frequency that is p25 on Boafeng UV5RA

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF5YDR

You can listen to it, but it won't sound like much. :p
If you want to listen to P25, you're going to have to get either a recent-ish scanner or a P25 transceiver and know the NAC of the system you want to listen to.

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
You can listen to it, but you won't like it much. Technically I believe P25 is not a modulation, it is just a method of encoding voice digitally. It can be broadcast on FM or AM, but will sound like noise unless your receiver can decode it. Normally it is broadcast over an FM carrier.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Listen to P25

You can use NAC F7E for listening, and it will open the squelch regardless of the actual NAC for that system. I use a XTS3000 with transmit inhibit on and F7E for receive and get great reception on a simulcast system that can sound garbled on a normal scanner.

How can I connect to a frequency that is p25 on a Boafeng uv5ra?

If the audio is clean enough,Maybe you'd be able to pipe it into a PC and run DSD or DSD+...With or without the NAC..DSD will do the work. But Im not sure if the audio coming out of the UV5 will be suitable. Get a patch cord I think its 2.5MM to 3.5MM for the Baofeng..and pipe it into your soundcard. See if DSD can get a good decode rate..Using the old GRE Superconverter I can pick up 800 control channels..But I have radios to monitor,so I never tinkered more..

The cord will run you 10-12 bucks,DSD is free..

Other than that...Youll need a P25 receiver..396/996XT,996T,PSR500,Pro106,436/536HP..Will run you a minimum of around 250$

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
P25 on Baofeng

A used xts3000 is not that bad. I got mine for well under $300, and the difference in sound quality is worth the expense. It is not nearly as flexible as a good scanner and of course handles only one frequency range.

Status
Not open for further replies.