2014 impala Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Thought I'd share for prospective 2014 impala owners on the passenger side
there is a panel by the interior foot light take that panel off by removing the two 3/8 inch bolt screws.Behind the car stereo center console area if you take your hand and reach right towards the firewall,there is a large rubber grommet for passing power wires though,we poked a tiny hole for our mobile ham radio install,but careful the grommet can pop out,its a pain but it pops back in.More to come after we figure out where to put the antenna,dont dare put a k400 diamond mount on the trunk,t will blow out your back window when you close the trunk(no we didn't) .... Only logical place is glass antenna on rear glass,magmount on roof or trunk or of course,if you're rich and dont lease the car a permanent mount on the roof or trunk.The battery has a cover on the driver's side and thats where the wire ends up perfectly if you poke a hole through the firewalll grommet like I told ya.cover can go back on since chevy put holes for wires!

YELLOW indicates grommet location with no engine and x indicates where battery is located.
Someone else did the antenna install I posted so you can see what kind of mount you need.
Theres also a grommet behind the brake pedal apparently!

Attachments

• firewall.jpg
    firewall.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 2,476
  • k600.jpg
    k600.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,800
Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
2014 ???

That top pic sure looks like a 1963 Chevy Impala engine compartment.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
LOL now that's dedication to the install - he removed the engine to make it easier to get the areas where he could pass wires through the firewall! :cool: I'd like to see the inside where the radio went!

Mike

WB4CS

Very similar to my 2012 Impala install. There's a grommet in the passenger side foot well that leads to the engine area. It was pretty easy to maneuver the power cables through that grommet and to the battery. I did not have to remove the engine ;) but I did have to make sure the engine was cooled off, because it's a tight squeeze back there. But some ingenuity and tools and it was a pretty simple install.

As for the antenna, for those of us that do it "right" and drill a hole for a permanent NMO mount, on my 2012 model it was a breeze to get a mount on the roof. Just pop off the dome light cover and light assembly and drill. Places the NMO center of the roof, just slightly towards the rear from center. The trunk lid can also be easily drilled into for NMO mounts. I'm not sure how much has changed since the 2013 redesign of the Impala.

Radio placement in the car was pretty easy. Mine has the 60/40 bench seats with column shift. Was able to mount directly under the dash, where the "power adapters" (cigarette lighters) are located.

Look forward to seeing installs of the radio. And hopefully you'll get an engine soon :p

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Locking thread since this has nothing to do with an install on a 2014 Impala and the pictures don't even belong to the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.