Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkatzjr45

Senior Member - Emeritus
Premium Subscriber
Two Questions:

A.

A few years ago I remember that a member provided us with a Tulsa PD Beat Map,
and was wondering if the most updated is available, and if so, could someone upload
it.

I am aware of the map provided on the PD's web-site. It shows the divisions,
(i.e....Adam to Henry) but not with the specificity of the individual "beats" within
each division. (ie. Beat 1..2..3..4......)

Totally unrelated question:

B. Concerning Actual Number of Troopers on Duty on our highways,
---troopers assigned to highway troops-- Day and Night Shifts

Does anyone know how many troopers actually patrol some of our major highways in OK?

For example, and this is complete conjecture, I would guess....that at night......

412 - from TUL to West Siloam Springs

Night:

probably only has (1) trooper covering the entire turnpike.
--Maybe -- (2)

Day: 2

I base this on the following 'tripartite' observations:

Scanner. Visual. Phone Call-No Dispatch

I travel this highway -Cherokee Turnpike-- (412( at night daily, and it is a very rare
event that I see, or hear.....any trooper on this highway at night.

*But I am sure at least 1 or 2 are assigned.

2. Will Rogers - During the day - I would guess 3.

Night 1 - 2 ?

3. Turner Tul-OKC -

Day: 4

Night: 2-3 ?

I have no idea if this is anywhere near correct; just basing it on years of travel,
listening to the scanner, and noticing.... .

Anyone know the numbers of actual troopers who are actively patrolling
the "highway troops" in our state?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

N5TWB

The only one I ever had any direct evidence on assignments was the Turner Tpk for the two years I commuted every Monday morning from OKC-TUL, leaving around 5:45am from the west end of the Kilpatrick. There was usually an on-air roll call with assignments about 6am with unit/badge numbers and where assigned. The typical was three troopers taking a third each with a little overlap.

The Cherokee Tpk is such a radio wasteland I'm not sure they communicate out there except by the satellite connection to the MDT or the county radios. I'm sure somebody with more info will be along shortly to show me how wrong I am.

peterjmag

In response to the Trooper question this is what I know. How many troopers that are on duty at night depend on the Troop. The other factor since this is related to scanning is radio traffic. The reality is radio traffic is way down in all troops due to the fact that most of activity takes place on their lap top computers/MDTs aka Mobile Cop. Mobile Cop allows troopers to chat with their dispatchers, each other, and run records etc. with out ever keying up a mic. Mobile Cop is allowing a trooper to pull somebody over and never key a mic to his or her dispatcher unless they feel the traffic stop is a high priority or they want confirmation of a warrant etc. This is very common here in the Tulsa Troop B and is making radio traffic more quiet these days.

So if you take this into consideration then it might seem that their are not as many troopers on duty at night because majority of their conversations are taking place on mobile cop. As for the break down from listening to OHP a lot over the last many years at night this is a guess...Also these number can go up due to weekends, holidays, and weather events.

Troop A OKC Rural and Metro combined 8
Turner/Kilpatrick 3
Troop B Tulsa 4 or 5
Troop C Muskogee 4
Troop K Perry None unless called out
Troop L Vinita 6

As for the Cherokee Turnpike comment I am hearing Xray units 24/7 all the way from Catoosa to the state line on Vinita L1 so I don't think geography is am issue.

As for the other Troops I don't know because I don't go through them very often so I really can't say. Hope this helps.

Drkatzjr45

Senior Member - Emeritus
Premium Subscriber
That is interesting concerning the mobile cop system (MDT)--wonder why other departments
do not use this -as extensively- (with respect to dispatching) as OHP?? , but considering
their call volume, that makes sense. I have always found listening to them to be very
boring.

Wonder why they invariably will dispatch a COS, and other times, they will not.

My thought is simply this: that a trooper isn't - --anywhere near-- - that 'specific" car
"going 100mph ...weaving all over the road....."

I have called in before (with very legit reasons) and heard nothing dispatched.

But the MC concept makes sense......

Thanks for the responses!

Last edited by a moderator:

plaws

Premium Subscriber
That is interesting concerning the mobile cop system (MDT)--wonder why other departments
do not use this -as extensively- (with respect to dispatching) as OHP??

I wish certain local jurisdictions in my immediate area would use the MDTs more. Then I'd listen to the cops more.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
A TPD officer told me that they still have to dispatch calls because not all cars (at that time) had MDT's, so the radio traffic was to let everyone know what is going on around them and allow an officer to "back" another. TPD calls start out with "George XXX and a backer" with the backer being the officer that feels he's close enough to the call to help. Also the MDT's still fail on a pretty regular basis. OHP is still using Pagers, Lotus notes and the radio besides Mobile Cop.

Drkatzjr45

Senior Member - Emeritus
Premium Subscriber
A TPD officer told me that they still have to dispatch calls because not all cars (at that time) had MDT's, so the radio traffic was to let everyone know what is going on around them and allow an officer to "back" another. TPD calls start out with "George XXX and a backer" with the backer being the officer that feels he's close enough to the call to help. Also the MDT's still fail on a pretty regular basis. OHP is still using Pagers, Lotus notes and the radio besides Mobile Cop.

So given this, in the future, do you think the need for a dispatcher, to dispatch every call,
when an officer can already see the call, push a button to take it, and another when they are 97
(on-scene)

Also, does anyone know how the beat system works with TPD. By beat I don't mean
Adam..Baker....Charlle... I mean 1 - 6 or 7, and how many officers are assigned to a beat in a squad.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.