Is GRE most likely never back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last time I heard from them was 2012 when their factory was forced to be closed. Any news now two years later if the company will ever start producing more scanners again. Are they still supporting their existing products two year later? Thanks!

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
GRE now Whistler

GRE was purchased by Whistler last year. Whistler is now producing most of the GRE line.

Last time I heard from them was 2012 when their factory was forced to be closed. Any news now two years later if the company will ever start producing more scanners again. Are they still supporting their existing products two year later? Thanks!

GRECOM..Is gone like the DoDo..

They are back in Whistler form.
Its how it go's.

My big Q...

Firmware..Will Whistler offer any legacy support for the GRE/RS line..
Likely No_Owners of the 500,800 are in a position that is static.
It would be nice is Whistler would offer a little bit of support for the 5&800.
But I would not hold my breath.

Aside from that..I own an 800,and will be getting a 500 in a week or 2. GRE
made good radios. And I read in another thread that UNIDEN will offer repair
services on them.

One think I do hope is that Whistler re-introduces the Super Amp. Cant get em anymore,
not even on ebay,Ive been looking,a couple times a week. No luck...

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider

I believe the term is "deader than disco".

Whistler has their designs and has released some largely-unchanged rebrandings of the PSR-500 and PSR-600, with the PSR-800 and a rumored PSR-800 mobile version coming soon.

oracavon

I think the mobile version is more than a rumor. Whistler has announced it as model WS1095, with a target release date somewhere around the end of this year (exact date not yet determined). Since they did release all their other models as announced, it would be reasonable to believe that their announcement of the WS1095 is also reliable.

remtronix

To all that are concerned. This is to inform you that GRE Japan/GRE America are both DEAD. So there has not been any support from GRE since we resigned last year nor will there ever be any support from them. In fact as I write, GRE America is terminating all US operations this week.

My final days with GRE was to convince GRE Japan to transfer Scanner IPs to Whistler Group with Wayne Wilson and we are personally pleased to see product line live on.

SCPD

QRT
yes or no?

To all that are concerned. This is to inform you that GRE Japan/GRE America are both DEAD. So there has not been any support from GRE since we resigned last year nor will there ever be any support from them. In fact as I write, GRE America is terminating all US operations this week.

My final days with GRE was to convince GRE Japan to transfer Scanner IPs to Whistler Group with Wayne Wilson and we are personally pleased to see product line live on.

So does that mean the ez scan software for GRE will work after the doomed date or no?

copperhd

Premium Subscriber
Super amps & converters by GRE

I have several super amps I still use today, but I have a question about the super converter. It was used to listen up in the 8oo-900 band from the 400 range where the scanners were restricted & worked reasonably well. When most of that band went digital but most scanners didn't (mid to late 80s) it became all but useless. Can it now be used as it was intended before on the new digital scanners?

remtronix

So does that mean the ez scan software for GRE will work after the doomed date or no?

Yes the software will continue to operate as normal and the DB Update should continue through Whistler Group from my understanding. However future firmware and hardware support may not be supported through Whistler at this point and time to my knowledge. You would have to contact them on directly.

rrbum

Premium Subscriber
I have several super amps I still use today, but I have a question about the super converter. It was used to listen up in the 8oo-900 band from the 400 range where the scanners were restricted & worked reasonably well. When most of that band went digital but most scanners didn't (mid to late 80s) it became all but useless. Can it now be used as it was intended before on the new digital scanners?

I would guess that as the product was merely a downconverter, yes it would work. However, I do not believe anything in these "restricted" bands is able to be decoded by any means. I guess that if you want to snoop around on any given "restricted" segment you could, but there is most likely nothing there to listen to unless you have some illicit software able to decode these protocols. I would say that if there was a digital signal type of which the receiver was able to decode present in the blocked segment, than yes the superconverter would allow you to tune into it.

copperhd

Premium Subscriber
GRE super converter

I guess what I was trying to ask in a round about way was cell phones, that was it's original purpose & I spent countless hours listening to some most unusual, funny, & awkward conversations. Those were the days, that & just driving down the street listening for cordless phones on any cheap scanner. That was not primary in my scanner hobby, but it sure was funny sometimes when everything else was quiet.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I guess what I was trying to ask in a round about way was cell phones, that was it's original purpose & I spent countless hours listening to some most unusual, funny, & awkward conversations. Those were the days, that & just driving down the street listening for cordless phones on any cheap scanner. That was not primary in my scanner hobby, but it sure was funny sometimes when everything else was quiet.

The ban is still in place, stating the frequencies. Yet very little is on those frequencies, these days. Or were you trying to ask something else?

Sent via Tapatalk

copperhd

Premium Subscriber
Ban in place

I was aware there was a ban in place, as far as I know it has always been illegal to listen in on cell phones, hence the lack of that section of band scanners always chopped out through use of diodes, epoxy, & other means. That was the whole idea of the super converter, to listen anyway but keep it to yourself. Now I guess that the cell industry got there way & cost the consumer by making scanner manufactures comply with their demands they have abandonded that portion of the spectrum altogether & left us holding an empty bag.

Thanks for the info! I remember a couple years back their were a couple of attempts to start the company back up in America with American Factories but due to the cost that project was abandoned. At least the technology is now in Whistler's hands rather than just buried in the dust. I think it would be wise if RadioShack struck a deal with Whistler to start making their scanners again.

DJ11DLN

Status
Not open for further replies.