omni db gain antenna or wifi repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

redneckcellphone

Premium Subscriber
one of my roommates at the house i live in wants to move the internet router to the middle of the house to provide better coverage all around from where it is in one of the front bedrooms. a few weeks ago when i moved in he mentioned that i should get a wifi repeater so i could boost the signal from where my bedroom is in the back of the house.

i keep trying to tell him that the repeater while would be cheaper would not help with all around coverage.

how well do wifi repeaters work? and are they even worth the money to spend on them?

rbm

I set up an access point on my home network so I could get coverage around my property where the wireless modem couldn't reach.

It's located inside of the house (although at times, I run a temporary cable outside for it)
It has it's own (non-standard) POE adapter.

I can easily reach out to 150 yards or more when it's in the house. Much further when it's outside.
For around $80 it was a good purchase.

There are many others out there that I'm sure could do equally as well.

Just set it up with a static IP address on your LAN, disable DHCP client, and point to the router as the source of addressing.

EnGenius Technologies Long Range 11n 2.4GHz Wireless Access Point (ENS202EXT)
Amazon.com: EnGenius Technologies Long Range 11n 2.4GHz Wireless Access Point (ENS202EXT): Computers & Accessories

redneckcellphone

Premium Subscriber
i like the idea but sadly the roommate doesn't. but as of now im going to still look at all the options until tuesday when time warner comes to see why our internet is slow and move the box more to the middle of the house.

but it would be certantly interesting to play around with that box and maybe get some bigger antennas with some db and see how far i can drive around and still have wifi :p

CapStar362

i have this: Amped Wireless R20000G High Power Wireless-N 600mW Gigabit Dual Band Router - Newegg.com

as my primary router in the basement attached to the modem for a DPC3008 Comcast modem. this is on one side and in the basement...

then i have this:

Amped Wireless SR20000G High Power Wireless-N 600mW Gigabit Dual Band Repeater - Newegg.com

sitting in the kitchen above a pantry on the other side of the house

my 1.25 Acre yard and 4700 SQ ft house is FULLY covered @ 3/5 bars anywhere on my property.

by far the highest rated output of a consumer grade router and repeater set without touching the firmware. comes like that @ 600mW FACTORY.

Cowthief

Hello.

Did the internet suddenly get slow?
Perhaps your roommate is sucking all of the bandwidth?
And, simply plugging in another access point and running it closer to him may be the solution.
As a rule, sharing internet does not work.
You will find this "Unlimited" mentality sets in.
I carry a small hotspot with me.
I was using it at a political function, and left at my appointed time.
Some lady came out screaming that I was taking "their" internet with me!
I left, and changed the password and unit ID.
Now, they look at me upset the next visit, so I left and have not been back.
So sometimes it is not a tech issue but a people issue.

mitbr

Also when using a repeater the download speed and throughput is reduced by approx. 50% with each repeater.
An AP is a much better approach.
Tim

wtp

could try this

an ex lived in a large house and had trouble connecting in a back bedroom.
gave it the old try a piece of aluminum foil on a piece of cardboard on the other side of the wireless and she said it worked.
i have talked to people that have steel studs in the house and they have just moved the box a couple of inches and have found improvements
just some thoughts have fun..

redneckcellphone

Premium Subscriber
The roommate who originally wanted to move the router called time warner today about the speeds to find that the box we have from them needs to changed to a faster one for the higher speeds. So they are mailing us one.

Status
Not open for further replies.