Canton Township FD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
Canton Township FD (Stark County)

Per a letter sent from Chief Smith to neighboring departments, Canton Township FD will switch back to the 453.5250 repeater for all operations beginning 9/12/2014. While the letter does not give a reason, I am told they are unhappy with the fact that they cannot communicate with any neighboring departments on MARCS-IP. While I do not like seeing any department regress in technology, I can see their piont. The only other Stark County FD on MARCS-IP is North Canton and they share no borders with Canton Township. Canton Township FD is the seccond Stark County FD to abandon 800 Mhz after switching; Louisville FD left the Canton/Stark TRS last year.

mszabo2000

Never understood why these departments chose MARCS over their own county system. County-wide interoperability is improved when every department operates on the same system.

Nasby

Kudos to Chief Smith and Canton Twp FD for seeing the light.

Just cuz its newer, doesn't mean its better. In this case, MARCS was clearly not the better choice.

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
mszabo2000,

I thought I recall something that the Stark SO was only allowing agencies on the Canton/Stark system that were dispatched by the SO. That may have been years ago. It could have changed.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
That notion was tossed around when Louisville dropped Cancom and went to Cencom at the same time they went back to a conventional radio system. The rumor was that only agencies dispatched by Cancom (Canton City) or Starcom (Stark SO) could use the Canton/Stark TRS. However since then, Alliance FD & PD went to the Canton/Stark TRS and they are self-dispatched.

ESFFSW911

Premium Subscriber
I am glad to hear also. I also didn't understand going with MARCS over Stark County system. I wondered why during the structure fire Saturday morning they were back on their old frequency.

Also, currently as 1:30 PM Perry Township Fire is dispatching and operating on FD Central. Is this testing or a problem with their repeater frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.