Solar storm to hit--9/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainetrunk

I just heard on the news that we got a solar storm coming. I'm new in the cosmic chaos. I know we had 1 a long time ago that did a number in the airwave dept. My question is; what is the WORST that can happen?

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
If the aurora is really active, scan 50 MHz.. All sorts of fun can happen..

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.

w2xq

Mentor
Twitter and spaceweather.com is alive with pix of the aurora last night. The images from Mt Washington and the Icelandic volcano were outstanding. While most pix were from North of 50 degrees, at 40N the horizon seemed tinged with red here in the darkness of the Pine Barrens. The moon had risen and there was a thin wispy cloud cover, so I can't say it was definitively the aurora. But the view did attract my attention.

Search for "auroramax" to lead you to a camera in the NWT. It's a 360 degree view of the sky.

mainetrunk

Well, personally, I just heard a bunch of static on some analog channels. But 3 days ago I was listenning to a fed channel (p25), and I could actually hear a solid humming. Same sound as a fan when it is not allowed to spin.. I haven't tried HF yet, been focussing on vhf and uhf. It's amazing, what you don't see can make you or break you..

Status
Not open for further replies.