• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX 7000 "Invalid Codeplug"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I recently acquired a VHF/700 Model III APX 7000. When I tried to read it with the CPS, it gave me an "Invalid Codeplug" error. It'll read the model and flashcode configuration. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but the flashcode is set to all zeros. Unfortunately, I don't have any codeplugs to load in to the radio. Is there a workaround for this, or is this a lost cause?

mikegilbert

MHz so good
I hope this isn't one of those cheapo "for parts, or not working" ebay APX radios. If they're under $2500, they're most likely ALT/DEV radios.

When you go into service mode, what info shows up on the display?

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I hope this isn't one of those cheapo "for parts, or not working" ebay APX radios. If they're under $2500, they're most likely ALT/DEV radios.

When you go into service mode, what info shows up on the display?

Unfortunately, it's an eBay radio, I paid $1500 for it. It does transmit and receive fine, and has channels loaded into it.
How do I access the service mode?

mikegilbert

MHz so good
1. Turn off the radio
2. Power the radio on
3. Press the lower side button (with two dots) at least 5 times.
4. "Service" will show up in the display.

You can hit the left arrow key to stop the display from cycling though the options. Then click the right arrow key to cycle through the info.

It should be along the lines of:

Host
DSP
Secure version
Model number
Serial number
Esn
Flashcode
Rf band
Tuning ver.
Processor ver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikegilbert

MHz so good
You don't need to post the serial number or esn, as they're most likely 123ABC1234

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
You don't need to post the serial number or esn, as they're most likely 123ABC1234

Got it. Here's what I found:

HOST: F00.15.31
DSP: F00.15.31
SECURE: D01.00.24
MODEL: H97TGD9PW1AN
FLASHCODE: 000001-000000-9
TUNING VERSION: D01.05.00
PROC VERSION: 0MAP1710

There is both an ESN and SN (i.e., not 123ABC1234).

I find it strange that it actually has a flashcode, because the CPS read it as all zeros.

mikegilbert

MHz so good
Looks like you've got a developmental radio on your hands. The "D" in the secure version indicates developmental secure revision.

I'd try to return the radio for a refund.

I've never come across an APX with such an old firmware revision.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Got it. Here's what I found:

HOST: F00.15.31
DSP: F00.15.31
SECURE: D01.00.24
MODEL: H97TGD9PW1AN
FLASHCODE: 000001-000000-9
TUNING VERSION: D01.05.00
PROC VERSION: 0MAP1710

There is both an ESN and SN (i.e., not 123ABC1234).

I find it strange that it actually has a flashcode, because the CPS read it as all zeros.

You'll need "Development" CPS to read it. Thinking about it, the codeplug structure may have changed so much no current CPS (development or otherwise) may read it

Just curious, is the finish on the radio "shiny" or "crinkly"?

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Looks like you've got a developmental radio on your hands. The "D" in the secure version indicates developmental secure revision.

I'd try to return the radio for a refund.

I've never come across an APX with such an old firmware revision.

Unfortunately, I got the radio about a month ago, and just now managed to get the CPS installed and working.
From what I gather, are you saying this radio is unusable?

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
You'll need "Development" CPS to read it. Thinking about it, the codeplug structure may have changed so much no current CPS (development or otherwise) may read it

Just curious, is the finish on the radio "shiny" or "crinkly"?

The finish on the radio is "crinkly".

XTS3000

The ONLY CPS version that will read and write that radio is version B00.02.00.46A

Unfortunally that CPS is special development version and not sold by Motorola.

Nasby

Is there any way he can upgrade the firmware, etc with a flash to make the radio useable?

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone tell me why Motorola did this?
It seems like kind of waste of a VERY expensive radio.

Anyway, I guess I'll keep it around as a parts unit. Maybe someday I'll come across a busted (non-developmental) one that needs a new case, display and keypad.

grem467

That radio was never meant to get outside of Motorola. It was created when the radio was being developed and tested. Motorola engineers had all the tools they needed to test whatever your particular unit was created to test. I would not trust that radio to any sort of mission or operations critical usage. The problem is the fact that they are all over eBay fetching insane prices for extremely useless equipment.

Some of the early units even had xts5000 boards in them.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
That radio was never meant to get outside of Motorola. It was created when the radio was being developed and tested. Motorola engineers had all the tools they needed to test whatever your particular unit was created to test. I would not trust that radio to any sort of mission or operations critical usage. The problem is the fact that they are all over eBay fetching insane prices for extremely useless equipment.

Some of the early units even had xts5000 boards in them.

Then how did they get out on the open market?

grem467

A lot of stuff leaks out of Motorola. Pallets of xts radios (panter88)... System key generator...depot etc.

Moto doesn't do a good job of getting them back (unless you post a service manual or codeplug, then the Gestapo comes out in force). But I digress.

jhal94

Premium Subscriber
Open it up and burn up the EPROM with a heat gun, then send it to depot :). Remove the tags and moto won't know a thing.

I'm kidding of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.