• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ht-1550

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colton25

Hello all, I'm new to motorola so I apologize if this has been covered in the past. I currently own a Kenwood tk-2180, it's a great radio and easy to program. I'm looking towards getting at motorola 1550 as it seems similar to what I have now. I've been reading a lot about motorola programming and it doesn't seem easy. Can anyone give me the bare bones on what it takes to program one and would it even be worth buying a motorola radio?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The physical programming of the radio is fairly easy if you understand what needs to be programmed into it. The Motorola Professional series software is probably one of the easier ones I've used.

The cost is usually what gets people. Legal copies of the programming software are going to run you about $250 or so. You will also need a programming cable. After market cables can be had for around $30 or so.

Considering you'd be paying $280 just to program one radio, it likely isn't worth it. You can always pay a shop to do it for you. Your money = Your choice.

Honestly, though, I've never personally been impressed with those series of portable radios. I wouldn't pay that much for software and cables just to own one. There are better radios out there. If you already have the means to program that Kenwood, why not just stick with those?

Colton25

I'm just looking to upgrade, I like the display on the 1550 because it can also display more, I also compared a friends next to my 2180 and the motorola seemed to receive better. What would be the next best radio from a 2180?

The physical programming of the radio is fairly easy if you understand what needs to be programmed into it. The Motorola Professional series software is probably one of the easier ones I've used.

The cost is usually what gets people. Legal copies of the programming software are going to run you about $250 or so. You will also need a programming cable. After market cables can be had for around $30 or so.

Considering you'd be paying $280 just to program one radio, it likely isn't worth it. You can always pay a shop to do it for you. Your money = Your choice.

Honestly, though, I've never personally been impressed with those series of portable radios. I wouldn't pay that much for software and cables just to own one. There are better radios out there. If you already have the means to program that Kenwood, why not just stick with those?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Hello all, I'm new to motorola so I apologize if this has been covered in the past. I currently own a Kenwood tk-2180, it's a great radio and easy to program. I'm looking towards getting at motorola 1550 as it seems similar to what I have now. I've been reading a lot about motorola programming and it doesn't seem easy. Can anyone give me the bare bones on what it takes to program one and would it even be worth buying a motorola radio?
There is already a wealth of information here about programming the Professional Series also known as the Waris series. The HT750, HT1250, HT1550, CDM750, CDM1250, CDM1550, EX600, and EX650 radios are all part of that family and are programmed using the same software. You will have to do multiple searches using the various keywords that I just mentioned to locate everything. The batboard is also an excellent resource for programming info on these radios.

The CPS is HVN9025, currently $265 from Motorola On Line. This is the only legitimate source and the only way to guarantee that your software is virus and malware free when you install it on your computer. It is a three year subscription so you'll be able to download new revisions as they are released for the duration of your subscription.

As mmckenna already pointed out, if you are programming one radio, the software and cable purchase is very expensive compared to the $30 to $50 that good radio shops will charge for programming.

But it's your call. As I have noted before, you should have as much info as possible so that you can make an informed decision based on as much fact as possible.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Zane;

I own 2 HT1550 XLS portables, 1 VHF and 1 UHF. I upgraded from the HT1250s. I absolutely love these radios. The 4 line display is awesome. They are not bulky nor are they really heavy. The software just takes a little getting used to if you have never programmed a Motorola radio before. Once you get the hang of it, it's a breeze. I used to own Kenwood TK-280, 380, radios so I'm familiar with Kenwood software.. I can definitely tell you that the Motorola software is much different with a steeper learning curve when compared to the Kenwood software.Even so, I definitely recommend getting a 1550 portable. The only problem is the price of the software if you don't have it. In my case I had no problem as the same software that programs the HT1250s also programs the 1550s so I was all set. However, if I was new to Motorola CPS, I would have been discouraged because the radios are still going for a pretty penny ($300-$400 average). The software is expensive at around $250 as was already pointed out.. So it's up to you whether its worth investing your money. But like I said, the radios are very nice all around. Mine are both FPP capable without the need for a red battery. Both were professionally recased and are still in the mint condition I got them. I love them and plan on keeping them for as long as I can regardless of what else I decide to "invest" in. As far as the program cable, you can get a USB cable for under $20. I've been using one of these for years now without any issues:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Program...177?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item518c114d89
As Steve said, load yourself up with as much information as possible. Make an informed decision! There certainly is a lot of information out there!. If you have any questions that you can't find an easy answer for, shoot me a PM and I will do my best to help you! That's what I'm here for!
Good luck!

Manny

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.