FL Quick Keys 436hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterPixel

I'm sure I'm overlooking something simple but here's my problem. I made a new favorites list in Sentinal and assignment a FL Quick Key. I wrote it to the scanner and the Favorites list is there but when I put in the FL QK number and press enter I get the error beep. I checked in the menu on the scanner and the Quick Key is set correctly but it won't work.

jblake76

Premium Subscriber
436HP

Good morning all, I just purchased a 436HP and need 2 questions answered.

1. Is there any firmware updates to this radio?
2. I programmed my favorates list and cant seem to set up a quick key (have 6 systems and want to be able to lock certain systems out when not in are)?

Thanks in advance.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
1. Sentinel has a menu option for checking for and installing firmware updates. Try that.

2. When you first open a favorite list for editing, there are some tabs for setting favorite list properties, including location control and quick key assignment. I recommend turning on location control; then the scanner will automatically disable out-of-range systems when you change locations.

jblake76

Premium Subscriber
1. Sentinel has a menu option for checking for and installing firmware updates. Try that.

2. When you first open a favorite list for editing, there are some tabs for setting favorite list properties, including location control and quick key assignment. I recommend turning on location control; then the scanner will automatically disable out-of-range systems when you change locations.

Thanks for the reply jon, so I assume there is no way to just shut a scan bank off in this radio?

PhillyPhoto

I have mine setup in large geographical areas, and hated putting in a zip code to bring up different stuff, so I actually have location control turned off on all my favorites. You have 100 Favorites, 100 Systems and 100 Groups, so I have 1 or more county assigned to a favorite, then a system setup for conventional-only stuff, then each system has it's own quick key. So if you do it the way I have it setup, you can control each favorite at all times (enabling a favorite a state away if you really want). I also have all types enabled (fire dispatch, ems dispatch etc) and break my groups down by type. It's just one less thing I have to worry about when I'm trying to find a channel.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
First of all, with the x36 line of scanners, there is no such thing as a "bank". You have a 3-level hierarchy of systems, departments, and frequencies/talkgroups.

For example, I have a favorite list for common public frequencies. It has one System called "Common Frequencies". This system has several Departments called CB, FRS, GMRS, MURS, etc. Each Department has a list of frequencies associated with that radio service--CB has the frequencies for CB channels 1-40, FRS has the 14 FRS channels, etc. Trunked systems are setup similarly, except you have Sites associated with the system that are assigned actual frequencies, and the 3-level hierarchy becomes systems, departments, and talkgroups.

Sites and systems are tagged with GPS coordinates to mark their location, and a Range parameter to specify how far they can be received. They can be assigned quick keys to toggle them on and off manually, but it is simpler to tell the scanner where you are, either by entering a ZIP code or connecting it to a GPS, and let the scanner automatically enable things in range and disable things out of range.

Everything in the scanner database is also tagged with a Service Type, which indicates what type of traffic. You can select what Service Types you want to listen to. If you select police, fire, and EMS service types, you won't scan railroad, business, aircraft, etc.

You can further refine what you listen to by placing an Avoid on a system, department, or talkgroup/frequency.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
And, if you aren't using GPS, Favorites Lists, Systems, Sites, and Departments can all have Quick Keys set for them to allow you to quickly toggle them on/off.

AC2OY

There has to be a video!! I will find it. I sorta do better with live instructions. I won't quit until I figure out how to quick key every system I desire to toggle on and off?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
One tip I found on this forum (came from Wise871 I believe) is to include Quick Key numbers as part of the Favorites List/System/Department name tag.

For example I have "Jefferson County" as a FL with FLQK 0. In that I have a system for Fire with SQK of 1. Then I have (among others) Jefferson County Fire with DQK 1.

So my names are:
"F00 Jefferson County"
"S01 Fire"
"D01 Jefferson County Fire"
Seeing these helps me to remember the numbers I use for Quick Keys. It's also helpful if you develop a pattern for Quick Key assignments.

Status
Not open for further replies.