Windows 9 coming out on Sept 30th 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB4CS

Meh. I'll stick with Windows 7 Pro until at least 2020 when support runs out.

I have a feeling that MS will extend the support of Windows 7 beyond 2020, much like they extended the support for XP. There's a lot of businesses that are running Windows 7 and have avoided Windows 8 like a plague. Unless Windows 9 ditches the metro look, I don't see many businesses investing in it.

lgentle

PHP:
Unless Windows 9 ditches the metro look....

The new Start Menu will still be there for those who like that look, however, Windows 9 will bring the classic Start Menu back WITH the Live Tiles from the new Start Menu.

Windows 9 introduces virtual desktops. Something Linux users have had for years and I think Mac just recently introduced virtual desktops within the last couple of years?

Overall, I think Windows 9 will be accepted easier than Windows 8 ever will be.

Cowthief

Hello.

Windows 8 was Vista all over again.
Windows 9 is the return to what people want, a working computer.
According to Moor's law, a computer has twice the abilities every 18 months.
According to Microsoft law, it is obsolete.

com501

You mean we have to give up XP? I think half the computers in our business are still running XP. The server on the business next door is Windows Server 2000......

joeuser

The Wretched
Heck, I still use Win2K Pro, daily. I have Win2K Adv. Server running 24/7 for over a decade. Rest of my systems run XP Pro. I have Win7 Biz on 3 systems - those which go out to the Net. I'd never take 2K nor XP out but they are just fine otherwise!

Win8 is terrible (except windows phone). Win9 should be decent, if history holds true.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Linux (Linux Mint specifically) is the answer! It's free too. So are Linux equivalents of MS Office, such as LibreOffice. Plus it allows you to run virtual Windows machines, for your radio applications that haven't been ported over...yet.

WB4CS

Linux (Linux Mint specifically) is the answer! It's free too. So are Linux equivalents of MS Office, such as LibreOffice. Plus it allows you to run virtual Windows machines, for your radio applications that haven't been ported over...yet.

There's always that one guy that touts Linux as the answer to everything :roll:

Linux is great for servers. Linux is great for geeks who like to tinker with things. Linux is not, and probably never will be, good for the average home user or office workstation.

Open Office and other open source Office programs are decent, but too many businesses are integrated within the MS Office suite to use those open source equivalents, and the open source versions don't have the same kind of client/server integration and tech support that a business needs.

For those of you that remember the "Hi I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC" commercials from several years ago:

Attachments

• Mac+vs+PC+vs+Linux_ebd630_4307539.jpg
    Mac+vs+PC+vs+Linux_ebd630_4307539.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 3,963

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
There's always that one guy that touts Linux as the answer to everything :roll:

Have you ever actually tried Linux, especially recently? I for one am tired of pouring more money into the MS cash cow, and getting the same old crap!

WB4CS

Have you ever actually tried Linux, especially recently? I for one am tired of pouring more money into the MS cash cow, and getting the same old crap!

Yes, as a matter of fact I have. I ran Linux Mint on a laptop earlier this year, because I hated Windows 8 and Windows 7 wouldn't work on the laptop (couldn't find drivers that would work.)

I have VMs of Ubuntu, OpenSuse, and Fedora on my home server that I use to tinker with. I work in IT so I need to be familiar and keep up to date with most OS environments.

I stand by what I said. It's good for tinkering and browsing the web and running a server. Not good when you need programs that only work in Windows. (And yeah, you can run a Windows VM in Liunx, but take a performance hit by doing so.)

joeuser

The Wretched
Linux is great, I have it dual booting with XP on a laptop. Ubuntu distro. There are some Linux flavors especially suited for HAM's & the like, Kali/BackTrack comes to mind. However, we are discussing Windows...

Cowthief

Hello.

If you have a Mac, you are running Unix.
If you have an Android phone, you are running Linux.
Jump in your car, GM, Unix.
Japanese, Linux.
You see, way back in the 70's, GM, and Ford worked with the DoD to develop a CPU just for automotive applications.
Volkswagen had just introduced a computer for engine control, in the Super beetle.
But, it was clear, this little German car! Big 3 HAD to fight back!
So, get this, the phone company led the pack!
Yes, Bell Labs was charged with development of a computer for engine control.
Motorola produced the chips.
So, do not like Unix or Linux? stop driving!

WB4CS

So, do not like Unix or Linux? stop driving!

I believe you're taking the Linux VS PC argument out of context. We are talking about **desktop** computing. No one has said anything about cars and phones. And we all know that Apple is based off of Unix, we're not disputing that.

But thank you for showing us that you're knowledgeable about Tech. Now back to our regular scheduled discussion on Windows 9 Beta. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.