160.830 still being used - NJ Transit PD??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

Are all comms still on this frequency? I haven't heard a sound on that frequency for the past couple of hours. I remember last week, I heard a lot of clicking and open mics with only a little law talk. Are they in the process of going totally over to ICS 700 MHZ? Just seems odd how inactive it has been lately.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
They have been pretty much full time on either 700 or 800. In my area it is mostly 800.

Sent from my SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Analogrules

That stinks. Do the train operators also have 700 or 800 radios, so they can communicate with the PD if an incident occured on the train?

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I don't know if they have anything linked to the tetra system. I am just out of range of the vhf freq, so I am enjoying this new setup.

SCPD

QRT
I don't know if they have anything linked to the tetra system. I am just out of range of the vhf freq, so I am enjoying this new setup.

If you're near Hackettstown you should pick up the signal fine.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
The closest VHF transmitter site to me is Mt. Kipp, however I still have 2 sets of mountains between me and the transmitter. Even with my attic antenna, it never sounded that great.

Analogrules

Oh ok, you mentioned they were having problems on VHF. Perhaps, it is just temporary then. I believe the train operators only have VHF capability, therefore I would highly doubt they would discard the 160.830 frequency completely. Perhaps they are just working on a problem and will be back on there again. I believe the Tetra frequencies are mainly used by other bus companies such as Academy and perhaps some of the NJ Transit maintanance personnel.

SCPD

QRT
Oh ok, you mentioned they were having problems on VHF. Perhaps, it is just temporary then. I believe the train operators only have VHF capability, therefore I would highly doubt they would discard the 160.830 frequency completely. Perhaps they are just working on a problem and will be back on there again. I believe the Tetra frequencies are mainly used by other bus companies such as Academy and perhaps some of the NJ Transit maintanance personnel.
I know light rail maintenance and the drivers are on it. It's been plagued for years with one problem or another.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I had a CMD-1250 in my car for a while, and I remember no matter where I was, that frequency sounded like crap.

NJTPD had been doing some substantial radio checks on 800 & 700 over the summer, it could be the move off of VHF was already in the plans.

SCPD

QRT
I had a CMD-1250 in my car for a while, and I remember no matter where I was, that frequency sounded like crap.

NJTPD had been doing some substantial radio checks on 800 & 700 over the summer, it could be the move off of VHF was already in the plans.
It still does, but not because of proximity to transmitter.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I don't know how they could use that on a day to day basis the way it was. I don't recall Riverline sounding that bad.

Analogrules

I agree, they always sounded pretty bad on that frequency. But, now I would guess train operators will be given access to their 800 trunked frequency TG, to stay in communication with the transit PD. Also, I wonder if Newark Penn Station Patrols will stay on 161.370

Analogrules

Either way, I suspect major changes will be coming soon for NJ Transit from their plagued TETRA system to VHF frequencies. Please post all updates and keep the DB updated as well.

I believe 160.83 is/was simulcast from several sites, which may be/may have been a factor in obtaining clear reception of the signal. The signal in northern Bergen County was always crappy, but in Hoboken it was almost perfect - but I could often hear the heterodyne of the Telegraph Hill transmitter below the Hoboken transmitter.

slapshot0017

NJTPD is alot smaller than you guys would think and don't necessarily need the trunk system. Yea they'll probably move over there to spite us, but that's neither here nor there... When it comes to getting rid of their VHF link that will never happen. They will probably obtain either Kenwood Dual mode/band radios or Motorola (if they ever decide to release firmware for NXDN) and use the trunked system for daily ops and VHF for interoperability situations. They always have interference issues as the system is so huge and half of the antennas are next to railroad op antennas. There system is actually the best in the state when it works, but who knows what they're doing with it now...

SCPD

QRT
I agree, they always sounded pretty bad on that frequency. But, now I would guess train operators will be given access to their 800 trunked frequency TG, to stay in communication with the transit PD. Also, I wonder if Newark Penn Station Patrols will stay on 161.370
For a repeater that has to make the trip to Maplewood and back could use such low power. The same for Secaucus. I can barely hear one and the other I can't hear at all.

Sybex7254

I believe 160.83 is/was simulcast from several sites, which may be/may have been a factor in obtaining clear reception of the signal. The signal in northern Bergen County was always crappy, but in Hoboken it was almost perfect - but I could often hear the heterodyne of the Telegraph Hill transmitter below the Hoboken transmitter.

I remember there being a thread on this some time ago. I've also noticed for the last few months or so the VHF signal has had an almost "phased" sound to it. I'm a few miles from the Netcong State Police tower which is the closest NJT simulcast site. Reception used to be almost perfect for me with both base and handheld scanners but now it seems to get worse the farther you get from the tower too.

I was recently down in the Clifton area last week and heard NJTPD on the NJICS 700 quite a bit. Couldn't tell if it was a simulcast of the VHF or not. I'm in the wrong area for a lot of activity other than DOT on NJICS...just the occasional NJSP talkgroup and Fairfield PD transmission. Wish there was a simulcast site closer.

Sybex7254

For a repeater that has to make the trip to Maplewood and back could use such low power. The same for Secaucus. I can barely hear one and the other I can't hear at all.

Doubt that the trains would have new radios installed. NJTPD dispatch can operate on the VHF road channels so if the trains needed Police they would continue to call their road dispatch who would call the Police as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.